2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Hi Guys, These seems to be a day for car trouble. I posted a question regarding my friends car earlier, now mine is having trouble.

I was driving today and stopped at a light. Then when the light turned green I pressed the accelerator and it just died. After that I could not restart it. It turns over fine and seems to start but then dies right away. I seem to hear a fast rattling noise coming from the right rear of the car after it dies. Could this be a fuel pump problem? Possibly a fuel filter?

Reply to
Kevin Johnson

Possibly the fuel pump...

Reply to
Paradox

Just had one die on 96 Sunfire, Same symptoms. Drop the gas tank and bite the bullet. Great fun to have it happen at a light or while crossing a major highway.

Chuck Reti Detroit MI

Reply to
Chuck Reti

or that crappy 8 mile area in that movie...LOL sorry, GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

How difficult is it to drop the gas tank?

Reply to
Kevin Johnson

Not too hard but if I'm not mistaken there is an access panel that can be removed so the tank doesn't have to be dropped to deal with the fuel pump and/or sending unit on that model. If you don't want to invest in a service manual go to your local library and check one out. Easier to look up the how-to than to skin knuckles figuring it out.

Reply to
FBR

Thank you so much for all the help, but I have one more quick question... When I first turn the key to the on position I can hear the fuel pump start up, it runs for a couple of seconds and then shuts off. Is this normal of a bad pump?

Reply to
Kevin Johnson

Ok guys. You're not going to believe this. At first this seemed like a clogged fuel filter, so I replaced the fuel filter. After that the car wouldn't even start, where as before it would start and die.

I feared a bad fuel pump as everyone hear thought as well. Although I could hear the fuel pump come on when the key was put in the on position. I then began to do some searching on the internet and I found a posting from a guy who said that he had the exact same problem and found that when you got air in the fuel line you had to put at least 7-8 gallons of gas in the tank for the pump to start working again. I didn't think this could be right but after working on this problem so late I figured it was worth a shot. Well, after I got the gas up over half a tank, it started and runs great. Very strange. Is there a sensor that requires a minimum amount of fuel to be in the tank when air has entered the system?

Again, thank you guys for all of your advice. I really appreciate it.

Reply to
Kevin Johnson

No. That's normal for any pump. It pressurizes the system then stops, and waits for you to start the engine. That is totally normal. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

No. The only reasons a pump would only work when the tank is half full are that, the gauge is wrong (which you ruled out by physically pouring in 8 gallons) or there is a problem with the pump, like a hole has developed in the in-tank tubing part of the pump assembly. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

I think there is... should be under the trunk carpeting, its pretty obvious.

Not sure 100% though, the fuel pump in my sunfire lasted longer in it then I did.

Reply to
Paradox