1999 Pontiac Grand Am

The "SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT " just came on and I am wondering what is the MOST LIKELY cause. I realize that this will be a guess but without checking the codes I have no other way of knowing...

Thanks in advance.. Gary

Reply to
Gary

Loose gas cap?

Reply to
Lee Richardson

Wild ass guess.....something is wrong with your car.

Reply to
hdd

First time this light went on in my GA the dealer read the codes and said the 2nd cylinder was mis-firing just a little. It must have been a little cuz I didnt even notice it. They suggested I add a good injector/engine cleaner to a full tank of high octane gas, this I did and the light went out

5 minutes later and is still off a year later. Total cost: $6.00 and a tank of gas... worth a try.
Reply to
kato

The check engine light has come on for my 2002 Pontiac Grand AM twice. The first time, it was a loose gas cap. The second time, at around

16,000 miles, it was a faulty O2 sensor (fixed under warranty).

The Check Engine light could be a ton of things, mainly relating to engine timing, emission controls and exhaust system. The easiet thing of course, is to check the gas cap. You'll most definitely know if it's loose. And if it turns out it is, It'll probably take a full tank of gas or two before the light goes back out.

If the cap's on tight, or if the light doesn't go away, then get the codes read. Depending on where you live, you might have to get the problem fixed anyway. I know in my state, the inspection places will not pass your car if the check engine light is on.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard