2000 GrandAm PASSLOCK Problem

My 2000 GA GT 3.4 has the dreaded PASSLOCK problem. On occassion, the motor will crank, but not start. The SECURITY dashboard light then flashes for about 10 minutes, then it starts fine, I hooked up my OBD II scanner, and no codes are detected. Rather than fix the problem, like a $100 ignition switch, I would rather disable the PASSLOCK system. Does anybody know how to disable this system on this vehicle. Thanks.

Glenn

Reply to
projman

If memory serves, the PASSLOCK system works off a resistor in your key. If the ignition part detects the proper resistor, the car starts. If not, it doesn't. I have heard of others taking apart the ignition and placing the proper value resistor (the same value as the one in your key) in there, that way the car always thinks it's there. Problem solved.

Reply to
80 Knight

There is nothing special about the key in my '01 GA with the passive security system. I have had new keys made at Lowes.

Reply to
hdd

in the late 90's they switched to a resistor in the switch instead of the key. Instructions for bypassing these systems are easily found (with Google) on an alarm companies website. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

That's my bad. I was thinking of my '96 Bonnie's key.

Reply to
80 Knight