'97 Grand Am Instrument Panel

A while back my Grand Am died, if I remember correctly, it was just the battery. After I replaced the battery none of the gauges on the instument panel worked and all the lights were lit up. My mechanic told me what it was (just don't remember now), he told m ethat it would cost like $800 to fix. Anyone know what he might be talking about and/or gone through a similar situation? Right now I'm just driving it that way. I don't know how fast I'm going or how much gas I got left (have to go by the mileage) and so far so good. I've not run out of gas once or gotten an additional ticket. I've checked all the fuses that I saw were related to that and all look fine. Any thoughts?

B-Worthey

Reply to
B-Worthey

A fuse?

Reply to
Timmy Thompson Private Eye

No, I checked all the fuses as did my mechanic. He named something else, that he said would cost around $800 for some reason, as I mentioned in the original post. I don't think a fuse would cost $800. Although I could be wrong.

B-Worthey

Reply to
B-Worthey

That depends on whether or not you are a woman...some mechanics will tell a woman anything. Even that a fuse costs $800.

Reply to
Richie Weinberger

Check the instrument panel circuit board.

Reply to
Richie Weinberger

Pick one up at a junkyard and save a bundle, have it installed for an hour or 2 labor or do it yourself.

Reply to
Richie Weinberger

I have almost the exact situation with a '97 Grand Am SE. Everything was working fine. I changed out the battery and the instrument cluster stopped working except for the fuel light blinking even though there is plenty of gas. All fuses have been checked and a local repair shop told me there is power at the cluster. They say to probably replace the cluster with a used one, but they're not positive. Does this sound like a cluster problem. Are there any other possibilities? If we go the route of a used cluster is there any way to change the odometer on the new one to match the current so that the mileage is correct. They foun 1 unit, but it has 25,000 more miles on it. Thanks in advance for any info!

Reply to
chris

I?m having the exact same problem with my pontiac grand am. Checked the fuses, battery, PCM etc... If anybody figures it out please us know.

"B-Worthey" wrote: > A while back my Grand Am died, if I remember correctly, it was > just the > battery. After I replaced the battery none of the gauges on > the instument > panel worked and all the lights were lit up. My mechanic told > me what it > was (just don't remember now), he told m ethat it would cost > like $800 to > fix. Anyone know what he might be talking about and/or gone > through a > similar situation? Right now I'm just driving it that way. I > don't know > how fast I'm going or how much gas I got left (have to go by > the mileage) > and so far so good. I've not run out of gas once or gotten an > additional > ticket. I've checked all the fuses that I saw were related to > that and all > look fine. Any thoughts? > > B-Worthey

Reply to
dastin