2002 grand am tranny noise?

100K miles on it. During long trips, sounds like something is hitting the fan, But not quite, I'd know that one. Noticed driving down the interstate; then in the driveway shifting into neutral. Seems to be associated with a change in pitch (up/down) of the whole vehicle. While in neutral, louder and faster (with engine rpm). My first guess was transmission or converter. Any ideas? George
Reply to
GEORGE S JAYNES

The power steering pump is almost empty.

Reply to
« Paul »

Reply to
GEORGE S JAYNES

Reply to
GEORGE S JAYNES

Nope. That was the easiest to check. Transmissions usually don't make noise but if they do it's usually loud and the car has trouble moving. I'm sure you checked the trans fluid. See if there is any way you can narrow down the sound's location.

Reply to
« Paul »

Reply to
GEORGE S JAYNES