2004 GTO Availability

So, after asking numerous dealers, 8 of them, 2 are willing to sell me a GTO for $100 down, take the order now, delivery in Spring, for the MSRP.

So, why do these other dealers, some of whom are on eBay trying to sell right to buys, and getting bids (Although looking at the number of re-listings for the right-to-buy ones, I think people are not looking closely at the auction and thinking that their bid is the final price, when in fact the right-to-buy idiot sellers are saying your final price will be your bid, PLUS MSRP). I had one dealer tell me the MSRP is 34,700, and "we think we get at least $2000 over that", then PLUS my optional manual trans or $1000 gas guzzler for auto, plus tax&title&destination. When I informed him that the MSRP, according to GM's website is 31,7XX, plus $700 destination, plus $1000 gas guzzler (the Auto is standard). He stared at me simply and said, "well, that's what you think it is, but I KNOW what it is, and it's 34,700." To top it off, this guy wanted $5000 down, and didn't even have the final pricing so he wouldn't give a written quote. Let me get this straight, you want $5000 from me, and won't even guarantee a price in writing, LOL!

It's no wonder GM isn't selling cars with idiots trying to take $2000 over sticker, AND hike up the MSRP in hopes of a sucker. Are there any suckers left out there, most people I know at least do some looking around first and have some figures in hand from the manufactures website prior to going to dealers. While 18000 cars isn't a lot, it's enough so that everyone who really wants one, should be able to get one.

I was just wondering what other people are experiencing with dealers and the '04 GTO.

Ken

Reply to
73blazer

Its a new car just like the PT Looser was. Dealers know they will get men having their mid life crises who will pay anything to be the first on their block to own one. What did you expect? Dealers are in the business of making money first and selling cars second.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

You changed the subject before you ended this sentence, but I'll just assume you meant to end it with "trying to get a lot of money over sticker". If so, the answer is it's a tradition to try to get way over retail for either a limited production car or the first of something cool, even if it's unlimited. Obviously they have some success because it's been going on forever. I was out driving around this week and saw two new SSR "dream car truck" at the Chevy place. I would love to have one. They were offered at $60,000, about 7000 over sticker. They won't be coming down, because they just won't make very many. The dealer has about a year to sell one before the next one comes in. Last prowler I saw was $50k, a full $15k over sticker. PT cruisers, which have been mentioned, are the opposite example. They started out selling for 26k used, now they're 16k new. That's a case where supply caught up with demand. If you want to study this further, try to find a dealer to sell you a new VIPER or SSR for MSRP. Just for fun I mean.

Personally, I can remember when I was 15 and immature, thinking that it would be worth a lot of money to have the first of some car that everybody else wanted. To be seen in it. That's the way teenagers experience life. At my age now, I just don't care and nobody I know does either. I'm not looking for a date to the prom. But I'm sure there are still a few alpha males among us with enough money to actually pay five figures to be "first". Then there are some families whose children supply the immaturity while the parents supply the money. If you've got it, you might as well enjoy it. It probably ruins your kids but I'd sure like for them to have all the stuff I didn't have.

So anyway, there's a market for it, and car dealers need the money.

Reply to
Joe

Bone-ne-ville wrote : its a new car just like the PT Looser was.

A friend of mine ordered one of those PT's when they first come out. He found a dealer offering a fair price and not jacked up any. But he had to wait 10 months and one week for delivery and at that time he had no car. Now you see PT's every time you turn a corner.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~274,329 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face