2004 GTO Boring

Saw the new GTO yesterday at the Chicago Auto Show and really can't say that I was overly impressed by it. There was nothing about the appearance of the car that I would call attention grabbing. What I did find curious however, were the mileage ratings between the manual and automatic transmission. Granted, I don't expect people to be buying a 350 horsepower V-8 for mileage, but the ratings listed were as follows: 17/21 for auto. and 18/29 for manual. Plus the automatic transmission option cost you another $1,000 for the Gas Guzzler Tax as stated right on the window sticker. I'll wait and see what the GTO "sounds" like on the street.

Another observation from the car show: Although I would never own a Ford, the new Mustang is a nice blend of modern technology with yesterday's styling characteristics. The Ford guys did do their homework.

Reply to
Gary Picha

Did you see the new Chrysler 300 Hemi, 345HP - 390 TQ no gas guzzler tax & 17 city / 25 hwy. I have a feeling this car will sell pretty well, especially the base models starting at $22,000 We see alot of 300's in the Chicago suburbs

Finally seeing the car in person I think it looks alright for a 2004 auto, but my images of a GTO do not reflect the looks of this 2004. I thought the GTO was very comfortable up front. Lots of leg room. As far as looks are concerned, its typical of today's automotive styling. If the car was covered by a sheet and and suddenly it was pulled off and you were supposed to guess the name of the car people would probably guess Grand Prix, Grand Am, or even Monte Carlo, never figuring it was a GTO.

I kind of wished GM kept the Mondero name on it and came out with a new GTO model from scratch, thus giving Pontiac another model vehicle.

It be nice if there were more than one model offered with that engine. Hopefully the future will see more RWD V8's coming back into GM showrooms.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 ( C), Black/Slate Grey, _~_~_~_~276,845 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

I agree, the looks of the thing are not impressive. I thought it looked like a pimped out Grand AM. The reviews, however, say that the build quailty is excellent. And, of course, the LS-1 rocks.

Reply to
Darin Ginther

I can't disagree with all being said about the GTOs styling. That being said, I bought one two weeks ago. Black with 6 speed manual. This car has good power/trans/suspension. I like the interior too. With the tuned true dual exhaust, it sounds excellent at idle, acel, and cruise. Very pleased with the car. Handles great. Many who see it are impressed.

The 6 sp manual avoids the gas guzzler tax with the 1st to 4th skip shift lock out. This means at certain low power driving conditions, the computer tells you to shift from 1st to 4th, instead of to 2nd. This improves the mileage and allows them to avoid the tax. The 4 sp automatic does have the tax.

Luckily there are aftermarket skip shift connector products you can install for $30 that defeats this skip shift lock out.

Reply to
tbudde

Got it for MSRP mid Feb in Chicago land.

Reply to
Budman