2004 GTO Pricing

I think I'm about to pull the trigger - going to the dealership on Monday or Tuesday. I'm just wondering what the consensus is here. Is this the absolute best time to buy, or are the incentives only going to get better? I hear the going price is 24,800 (dealer, minus $5500, and they use 3 of those coupons to knock another $1500 off). Will it get better, or when the rebate expires on Jan 3 does it go back to $3500? Or maybe up to $6500?

Hello? Oracle?

Reply to
InjunRAIV

The first few boatloads of '05's are being held at port in Benecia, CA, and will begin shipment to dealers starting on Tuesday the 28th. GM does not want the leftover '04's competing with the '05's. Rumor has it that there will be no more consumer incentives on the '04's after the current ones expire on 1/03/05. There may be some dealer incentives, but supposedly nothing more to customers. Some dealers may end up sending new cars to auctions, just to get rid of them.

So, I think buying now is a particularly good choice, particularly if you can make a deal by 12/31 (dealers will be motivated by the end of the calendar year). Don't forget any GM Card "roundup" promo you may be eligible for (up to $5k off the price of the car), and also don't forget the low 0.9/36, 1.9/48 and 2.9/60 financing available (which also expires on 01/03/05).

Reply to
Zaphod Beeblebrox

I personally plan to wait for the 2005 model - I am 99% certain I will buy this car (having test-driven the 2004). I am glad to hear they will begin shipping soon (as opposed to some dealers claims of 7/2005 shipment!!)

Do you have any insight as to the pricing ?

I think the car is great. I dont believe I would pay MSPR for the 2005, but below $30K would be acceptable.

Also, do you know if they plan to have a shifter upgrade option? That would really sweeten the GTO.

Thanks Musty

Reply to
Musty

Pricing has been announced... approximately a $500 increase in MSRP over the '04's (around $33,500-$34,000). For that, you get the 6.0L 400 hp LS2 motor (50 hp increase over the 350-hp LS1), bigger brakes, hood scoops (can delete if ordering the car), revised rear fascia with separated dual exhaust, dead pedal, different font on the instrument panel, and two new exterior colors, gray and midnight blue (no more Barbados Blue or Cosmos Purple Metallic). Oh, the auto tranny has been reworked, but it's still only a 4-speed.

You may not see '05 prices fall that low, at least not for awhile. They're only making 12k '05's, primarily so they can start building '06's in May/June and have them here in September during the "normal" new car period (rather than start building in September and have them here in December/January). Some dealers are willing to do $500 over invoice on the '05's, others are sticking to MSRP.

Look at the RipShift from GMMotorsport:

Sold in the US by LS1Speed:

If you could get the $5000 GM Card discount on top of the current $5500 (East, South)/$5000 (Midwest)/$3500 (West) incentives, you could easily buy a new GTO for under $20k and make it surpass the '05's, with money left to spare. Don't forget about the low finance rates (0.9/36, 1.9/48 and 2.9/60) on the '04's as well...

Reply to
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Any idea on invoice? I work for a supplier of GM, so I believe the deal is that I can get atleast something around invoice with Pontiac.

I can see that invoice on 2004 is $29.5, so I am assuming $30K for 2005. For $30K, I would buy it.

If this is the case, then if I am patient (in keeping my 2000 Mustang GT), I could potentially wait till Aug/Sep and get a better deal. Having said that, with 12K units only, availability may be an issue. Also, I grow tired of the Mustang daily :-(

Now, that you've brought it up (and got me very curious), any info on whats in store for the 2006??

I will definitely check these out (once I buy the car)...

Reply to
Musty

I believe the below example is for an A4 car.

Total MSRP:* $34,295.00 Supplier:** $32,451.46 GMS Price: $30,979.03

Reply to
Zaphod Beeblebrox

I shouldn't say this in public... I made the deal for $24,745 yesterday, with 2.9 financing. Piecing the last few things (like insurance) together and making the final decision today. Mine will be black (I wanted blue), but I'll suffer! ;)

Reply to
InjunRAIV

There was a dealer here in southern Wisconsin that ran an add for GTO's at $22,995. I've stopped by a few times over the last year and it seems like they always had the same GTO's so I assume they just wanted to get rid of them.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

Dennis Smith Wrote: There's a dealer in southern Wiscosin.........I've stopped by a few times over the las year......

Sales Manager : " Here comes that Farm Boy again " !

Salesman 1 ; "Damn rubberneckers ".

Salesman 2: " You'd think somebody driving a 1971 beater WOULD buy a new car ".

: - )

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~297,324 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Dennis, I live in the Milwaukee 'burbs. What dealer? I ask only for curiosity's sake as I have already purchased a 2004 GTO...

Reply to
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Ballweg(sp?) in Sauk City.

Hope you didn't buy your GTO from Foster Pontiac. I've heard so many horror stories from that place. At least the car show they have every summer is good.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

Nope, Greenfield. A GTO-owning acquaintance of mine did, and he has a number of horror stories relating to the purchase experience. I set foot in there once earlier this year (to look at the GTO and the GXP) and the sales rep was a bulldog - kept calling me and calling me and calling me...

You're right, they do have a nice car show... good friend of mine has a champagne '69 Firebird convertible he restored himself, and he usually wins a nice plaque there. He'll be there this year with his latest project, a restored '69 TA which he's working on right now...

Reply to
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Foster is the only Pontiac Dealership in the Racine, WI area that I will go to.. Maybe Lemay..... Doubt it though..

Foster has always been great to me!!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrae

I can't believe it, $24,745 and I'm going to wait and see if it comes down any more... Yikes!

Reply to
InjunRAIV

Palmen is supposed to be very good. My GTO was dealer-traded from Palmen...

Reply to
Zaphod Beeblebrox

I wouldn't wait. They are selling pretty well - at the current high level of incentives. If you've found a dealer who still has 3 $500 Value Certificates to use on your deal, do it!

An unconfirmed rumor is that there will be no more direct-to-consumer incentives on the '04's after the current ones expire on January 3. This doesn't mean that there won't be direct-to-dealer incentives. Supposedly GM has established the "final buyout" pricing for after that date. I am expecting them to clear out 2500-3000 GTO's this month (lots of new owners, one dealer near me sold 8 in a week), leaving at best 1500 or so left....

Reply to
Zaphod Beeblebrox

I have to wait. I'm hoping there will still be some around when I can pull the trigger, but if not I'll pay more and get the '05.

BTW, did anyone catch the Car and Driver matchup between the '05 and the Mustang GT? The GTO SMOKED the Mustang, but it won because the C&D guys either needed to protect their '10Best' rating (they alluded to that in the article) or are really hung up on looks, or sales figures, or whatever... It was a laughable conclusion!

Reply to
InjunRAIV

Yep. I have a C&D subscription. It was clear in the article that if a production version was available, the goat would have won. Its funny because R&T had an article on the 2004 GTO vs the 2004 Mustang Cobra S/C. Even though the snake was faster, the writer gate the GTO the edge because of refinement. In my opinion, the 2005 GTO is not even on the same level as the Mustang GT - and I am a 2000 Mustang GT owner!! Dont get me wrong, the Mustang is a great little car, but 400HP is something else, not to mention independent rear suspension!

I personally will buy the 2005 GTO. Cant wait to show the 2005 Mustang GT's what real power is. I will keep my GT as a "beater".

Reply to
Musty

I'm glad you pointed all that out. I don't get either magazine, so I couldn't remember whether R&T or Motor Trend had reversed the findings with the losing GTO proclaimed the winner. So apparently they're both great cars. I don't see how they could be considered competitors, really though.

However, the Mustang has had independent rear suspension for many years. Even the explorers have it now!

Reply to
Joe

I am not sure which Mustangs you are referring to, but they do not have IRS. My 2000 GT has a solid rear end as does the latest 2005 (originally it was going to be fixed on the '05, but they backed down due to manufacturing costs). They are all based on a 30+ year old platform. The only Mustangs to get IRS are the SVT Cobra versions. Having a solid rear end is not completely bad though. It does help in straight line acceleration (less lossy), but it does come at the expense of handling. I agree that it is hard to compare these cars. The Mustang is a more iconic American car, whereas the new GTO is more European styling with American muscle - LS2 baby!! It really has nothing to do with the previous GTOs besides the (re)badge

Reply to
Musty