2005 GTO - Short Trunk

Read an article in a magazine today that said the reason the GTO has such a small trunk is due to the US Safety Restrictions on Crash Tests. Here in the USA, the gas tank had to be located behind the rear seat backrest for safety concerns, thus the reason the trunk is only like 18 inches deep.

For 2005 the trunk is 9 cubic feet, where the 2004 is only 7 cubic feet.

I wonder what the trunk's cubic feet is on a 2-door Holden Monaro, any of you Aussie's know?? And where is the gas tank located on the Monaro's.

2005 looks the same as 04 except for two very small hood scoops, & LS2 V8, 400 HP & 395 TQ.

I actually like the more recent Grand Am's fiberglass hood with the dummy hood scoops. They were pretty big..

Gooday Mates!

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~295,444 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

On the 99-04 Monaros the gas tank is under the trunk floor and the spare tire is in the trunk. For 05 and 06 the Monaro is now getting the same gas tank in the trunk/spare tire in trunk floor well as the 04 GTO. GM didn't have to move the gas tank into the trunk for 04 GTO but did it anyway.

Cars have had gas tanks under the trunk floor and right behind the rear bumper for years with no big "fire bombs". This new gov't regulation to have the gas tank away from the rear of the car is just another result of some GD tree hippie trying to save the world again....

Reply to
Dennis Smith

Thery also separated the tailpipes so that they exit at opposite corners and added chrome tips. Then there's the big G T O insert between the tailpipes.

Are the GTO's hood scoops functional? Dummy *anything* is silly, IMO. I recall seeing a Monte Carlo SS ('02, maybe?) in a dealer's showroom. It had what looked like two tailpipes exiting at the corners. Looking more closely (no need to bend over), I could see that the one on the driver's side was merely a tip welded onto the car. It was pure ornamentation.

Reply to
Mike Hartigan

Nope. They just go into the engine compartment and act as "cooling inlets".

I'm sure there will be a few aftermarket companies that will make them functional.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

I'm not an Aussie and I don't know the cubic footage of the Holden, but I did read when the GTO came out that the Monaro gastank is located under the back seat.

TOm

Reply to
Tom S

Seems to me to be a better location for it. It would be protected by the sub-frame rails and the differential. Jeez, hit it hard enough to crush that tank I think the last think you'd be worried about would be, well, anything. You'd already be dead.

Why don't they just require bladder fuel cells and be done with it?

Reply to
FBR

I agree fully. Between the subrails, in front of the axile seems to be a much safer location, especially if it had a bladder. The Federal regs apparently dictate the more rearward location and that it be enclosed in a "puncture-resistant" steel box.

I guess there is an upside in that you now have more effective weight on the rear wheels.

Tom

Reply to
Tom S

Here's the specs

Read an article in a magazine today that said the reason the GTO has

Reply to
ShayneR