2004 GTO pricing when 2005 hits showroom floor

Anybody have any knowledge or opinions about what a new 2004 will go for once the 2005's become available. Where would they be sold from? Pontiac dealer lots? Sorry if my questions are a bit ignorant. TIA.

Reply to
Paul

Why wouldn't they continue to sell 04's on the dealer lot while 05's sit two rows over?

When that time of year comes that new models come out, last years models don't magiacally disappear.

Lot of dealers here have many 04 / 05 cars on the lot.

A Chevy dealer by me has 2003 cars with the original window stickers still on them. I don't know if this is ust to show what is on the car or if it was a car that the dealership used and is now trying to sell.

Not sure what kind of discount will be offered om the 2004 GTO . The dealer by me has the original 8 he got back in March.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~296,274 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Harry is correct of course), but there is more to it. GM already offers deals on leftover cars, including the GTO. We heard from someone on this board who claims to have paid a mere $24k for his, which represents about $9500 off sticker. BTW, there was about $1,500 profit for the dealer at sticker when they first arrived.

It is hard to sell some leftovers once the new model comes out, especially if the new model is improved significantly. With the new engine and the gee-whiz hood scoops that everyone has been clamoring for, the '04 seems like a harder sell. But from what I understand, the trunk is even smaller on the '05 (6 cubic feet!), and is probably a bit pricier as well.

I think everyone is disappointed at the sluggish GTO sales (excluding southern Ca, apparently), and there will probably be some deals to be had in a few weeks. But keep in mind that if the '05s are that much better, the '04 will be worth thast much less at trade in time. You probably need to at least consider that.

Reply to
InjunRAIV

Reply to
Bryan Lee

Thanks for the replies, and again I apologize if the question is a bit ignorant. Truth is, I have never purchased a "new" car, so never really gave it much thought about what happens to last years models. I really like vintage GTO's, but don't have the mechanical skills to realistically maintain one. I'm not thrilled with the understated look of the new GTO's, but I have heard alot of praise for it's performance. For a guy who has never owned a car with over 160 HP, the difference between 350 and 395 HP for the '04 and '05 GTO's is not really relevant, and I can always change the hood if I crave scoops. I'm just looking to leverage the drop in demand for the '04 to get the best possible deal, and was trying to quantify what that drop in demand might do to the price.

Reply to
Paul

Reply to
InjunRAIV

I've heard the same report and think it's bogus. The last 50 or so '04s (same hood) shipped over with the first boat of '05's (left Oz November

4), so the pipeline is definitely coming to an end.

Pontiac just announced that they're cutting GTO output for '05 to

12k/year (about what they made in '04's). With 9500 sold through October, if you're on the fence for an '04 and want one of the more rare colors (like the discontinued-for-05 Cosmos Purple or Barbados Blue, one of the limited Pulse Red (formerly 40th anniversary) models, or an unusual color combo like the Impulse Blue w/the blue interior, I wouldn't wait too much longer (dealer lots are beginning to empty). If incentives are going to increase, that'll be next month (end of the year can be important to dealerships). If you want a red, black, or silver one, those are the most plentiful remaining (GMBuyPower can be your friend).

Personally I think the GTO at its current level of incentives (most dealers selling at invoice or less, $3500 GMAC finance rate PLUS 0.9/36,

1.9/48 or 2.9/60 financing) represents an incredible performance bargain. With OTD prices in the 27-28k range, while the '05's will be 34-35k, you can mod the heck out of an '04 (plenty of third-party hoods, exhausts, and HP upgrades for the LS1, if you so desire) for a lot less than the '05.

I own a Cosmos Purple '04 GTO and was hooked from the first test-drive. For a car that many don't like the styling, or think it's bland, it gets TONS OF ATTENTION/looks at stoplights and in parking lots. And then there's that smile I have on my face, the entire time I am behind the wheel :-)

--Zaphod

P.S. A really good owner forum for the new GTO is

Zaphod Beeblebrox

If you want one, the day to deal is the end of the month (November 30.) Any sales person behind is going to do whatever to move a car. The next great date is December 31. Same reason only more, end of month, end of quarter, end of year! Just show up around 4 PM ready to buy.

Good luck, post back with the details!

Reply to
Seppburgh2

Yeah if I had known they were gonna be that big of a flop, I would have held off on buying my monte and picked up a GTO for probably 20K with GMS discount...

Reply to
Paradox

I highly doubt that cheaply (lowest GTO purchase price I saw was around $24k and there were several additional discounts, including GM card $$$). GMS price on an M6 is just shy of $30k, an A4 is around $30,250. Subtract the $3500 GMAC financing discount/rebate, and add TT&L and there you go.

Reply to
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Here's a place you can keep up on current news of the GTO:

The forums on the LS1 site are good. Give it a look.

On thing I can pass along is the production schedule for GTOs have been changed downward. The schedule run is 1,000 per month and the distribution is going to be higher on the West coast. Pontiac wants to avoid the problems they had with the 04. If they can balance production to demand, the dealers may sell for sticker.

Take care, post back the details when you get your ride!

Reply to
Seppburgh2