389 FIRING ORDER

My Buddy is doing a tune-up on my 66 GTO. It has a 389 at some point it was switched over to a mallory electronic ignition. Does anyone have a diagram of the firing order, he needs to know how to correctly install the wires from the plugs to the distributor cap. Thanks!!!!!

Reply to
sixt7gto

Shep

18436572 Forever etched into my brain. He can easily figure out #1. It's where the rotor points when #1 is TDC, compression stroke.
Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Reply to
Dipstick

No it doesn't. Chrysler/Mopar yes, Fords no. Here's a bunch o firing orders

Dipstick wrote: Even works for Fords.

Reply to
Jimmy

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Reply to
aarcuda69062

What you said was; "Yep. Same as most American V8s of the modern era. Even works for Fords."

You'd have a point if that was what I was saying. Where people (including myself) are disagreeing with you is the; "Even works for Fords." part. Since Ford uses two different firing orders on their V-8 engines, your comment is a bit misleading...

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I believe that is exactly what you tried to state with your first post on the subject. If it isn't then I missed your point in it.

So you're convinced, or at least readily admit, that it does indeed work on the Fords with the (most?)common 15426378 firing order, yet you still don't believe it works for Fords...

I must admit that Fords are not my preference (and neither are Pontiacs), but that has been the firing order on every one of them that I've worked on.

Sorry if my comment was misleading. I was careful not to say all V8s or all Fords. Thank you, though, for proving that it and my original thoughts on the subject were accurate.

Reply to
Dipstick

You missed completely. Here is the subject of my first reply. You claimed; "Yes, it does work for Ford. Ford numbers their cylinders differently, but they fire in the exact same order."

Can't possibly work as you stated for the plain and simple fact that Ford uses two different firing orders on their V-8 engines and [they] do not necessarily "fire in the exact same order."

I'm convinced that the word "convinced" is inappropriate since it deals with a fact that I've known for close to three decades.

No, not all Fords, for obvious reasons, reasons that you neglected to mention.

Okay, so you have limited experience.

You stated it as fact when you should have qualified the exceptions.

Again, they most certainly were not and could not have been given

-your- admission that you've never encountered the

1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8 firing order.
Reply to
aarcuda69062

I'm going to get shot for this I'm sure but I haven't seen anybody bring a small point up as of yet. This other firing order wouldn't happen to be the one that works for the modular engine would it. If that is the case then the point is moot since there is no distributor or sparkplug wires to get mixed up. The coils are right on the plugs as some may be aware and as such there is no need to know the firing order since the wiring harness takes care of that little problem.

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to

-your- admission that you've never encountered the

1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8 firing order. <

There you go changing things again. Never said I'd never encountered the other order, just that I'd never worked on one. I've been well aware for over 3 decades that it exists. Even owned one for a short time.

Let's see....my original statement was that the 18436572 works for most American V8s, even Fords, which it does (for many, probably most, but not all Fords). My original thoughts were that someone would disagree that the common 18436572 firing order works for Fords, any Fords, ...which -Jimmy- proved with his response, and that someone would spend days arguing about it, which -you- have. I'm satisfied that they have been well proven. So you can post another twisted rebuttal and then we'll both be satisfied.

Reply to
Dipstick

1) It would be moot -if- the modular engine always [only] had coil on plug ignition. (which is what you're describing) 2) The 1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8 firing order was used on 5.0 and 5.8 liter engines depending on which camshaft was installed.
Reply to
aarcuda69062

Wow, that's like saying that your opinion is qualified because you passed one on the street once or twice.

gee, to bad your original post omitted the words "many," "probably," and "most."

Yeah, too bad your eagerness to show us how clever you are fell short.

Jimmy proved you wrong, you disagreed, you still disagree. You stated that Fords fire in the same order, the [a] correct statement should [would] have been that Ford pistons go to top dead center in the same order as GM and Chrysler. Apparently the reason why is too complicated for you to understand. Or; For some reason you think that crankshaft throw indexing is the same as the firing order.

On the contrary, I have been explaining, YOU have been arguing. (but why would we expect anything different?)

Sorry, I missed the part where you proved that a

1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8 firing order is the same as a 1 5 4 2 6 3 7 8 firing order. As I said earlier, only 4 of the 8 occur in the same order.

Gladly! Just like your special education teacher(s), we'll work on this for as long as it takes.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I would hope that it also depended on which crankshaft was in the motor as well.

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to
RSCamaro

Nope. The crankshaft is the same, it's the camshaft that determines firing order in this case. The crankshaft is indexed the same.

T T T T

1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8

T T T T

1 5 4 2 6 3 7 8

The columns marked "T" above represent the crank throws, notice that the cylinders match, that means that those cylinders are at top dead center at the same time, (i.e., 1 and 6, 3 and 5,) all that changes (via camshaft) is the order that air is inducted, spark and burned gasses exhausted on cylinders 3 4 5 and 7.

Reply to
Neil Nelson