ABS Problem update

Ok, I have did some checking on the net, and it seems that this is a problem with 96-98, and prior to 96 also. However, I see many of them are still driving them after the ABS and break light is on. Most likely they didn't have the safety switch that prevents you from shifting out of park, if the break peddle is pressed. So, any ideas? I am, thinking of taking the shifter apart, and finding the safety device that prevents this and disconnect it. Any ideas? Does this sound ok, just to get it back to my house so I can dig deeper?

I hope this was not answered in a previous thread, but here it goes. > My wife was driving our 1997 Pontiac Grand Am, and she went into my > daughter's new school. When she came back out, the ABS light was on, and > the brake light was on. It has never came on before (except when you > first start the engine). It will not shift out of park. I checked the > Fuse in the Engine compartment, and it was good (both of them). Is there > any quick things I should check other then the obvious, maybe a reset > button somewhere? I don't see how this system would just come on and > boom, everything is locked to where we can't even get the car into gear. > Is there a bypass where I can at least get the car home, it is only about > a mile from our house (or maybe to a mechanic to have further work done on > it)? > > Thanks in advance. > > -- > Rick > Remove "2" to email back >
Reply to
Ricky Eck

I would. That's just crazy.

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

It's on the floor. I know if you don't have your foot on the brake and you grab the shifter, and press the button W/O pressing the break, you will hear a relay click under the steering wheel. After posting this, I read on a website, that it could be "Possably" a bad ground, or cables to the Battery (also a bad Alternater). I too could not figure why it wouldn't shift at least out of gear. First car I have had that ever had ABS problems, let alone this. I have never been a fan of ABS, but this help comferm about the problems with all the computer stuff in a car. I like the old style that didn't need life support to just change a simple part...

Reply to
Ricky Eck

This is just an idea. If your car is parked on a hill with the parking brake off, the weight of the car is on the transaxle. This puts the shifter in a bind. If this is the problem, pop the plastic cap off of the lock release & push the button to release. The release should be on the console near the shifter. Also check to see if your brake lights work. The car shouldn't shift out of park without pressing the brakes. If the break lights aren't working the problem probably is the ground or switch. Have you checked the fluid level? I don't believe the break warning comes on if the ABS warning is on, but it will vice-versa.

Reply to
Micah

Well, here is some further news, I will try to be descriptive if possible, so everyone can get a picture. First, let me get a little more info on the car and maybe it will help. As before it is a Grand Am Se, 97 3.1 with ABS, ETS Power Breaks, Steering, ect. The standard that comes with the SE edition. Shifter on the floor.

Ok, I went back, and check all the fuses and the fluids. The break fluid was a LITTLE low, so I added a little to it. But didn't help. I did manage to pull the piece that had the gear lights on it up from the shifter. I found the ETS wire, and the wire that ran to the Indicator lights. I looked down into the shifter casing, and seen a little white switch looking thing on the right hand side of the shifter. I pushed it to the left, and it pulled a pin to the right. Boom, I was able to Shift into gears. So I drove it home. However, it drove like a manual Tans. Like starting out in third from a stop. I just took it out a bit ago, and I could manual shift gears, but it would not automatically shift. And another thing I noticed is the ETS light does not come on and off when you push the switch (It is on the shifter handle, to the left). It used to turn a light on, saying "ETS Off", when you pressed it. And it still will not shift out of park, unless I push that little white switch thing over to the left. I found a automatic switch like listed in the post above, underneath the column under a little square panel, that pops off. If I push the shifter handle, a little silver piece pops out, and when I release it, it pops back in.

Just incase Some don't know what my problem is, the ABS light and BRAKE light are both on. The Transmission will not shift out of Park (Engine Running), even when brake is pressed. And another problem is the ETS light is no longer coming off and on.

I am now thinking this may be more then a simple "Bad" switch.

Thanks in Advance. Rick

Reply to
Ricky Eck

Well, 4 days from the original problem, and the car will shift out of park, with out any problem. However, it will do it now, with out the key in the ignition. Also, we discovered that the A/C compressor will not kick in (We live in TX). The fan will blow and all, but no A/C cold. I am begining to think computer. I was wondering if I reset the computer, if it may go back to somewhat normal. Or if someone may have any further ideas. I am thinking it may be some form of electrical problem, since several areas are effected. Maybe a bad Alt. or Batt.? I doubt a Fuseable Link, but not sure. Any Help?

Thanks in advance, Rick

Reply to
Ricky Eck

Does the clutch pull in at all? Or kick on & off?

Reply to
Micah

Reply to
Ricky Eck

I don't know. Unless possibly some of the wiring has come loose under the dash. I had a 96 jeep that shorted in the steering column when the wheel was tilted.

Reply to
Micah

Well, I went through the Haynes last night (Really a crappy book, covers over 10 years of the Pontiac alone), but I was tracing the problems, and every thing I said that was not working leads right to the ECM (Power Control Module, they call it) So I am thinking the computer is confused or something. I know if it is messed up, it can't be all the way. Because this module also controls the Fuel injection and all that. And the car runs fine, just the problems listed above in previous posts. Now, I am extremely experienced in electronics and computers, but when it comes to car computers, I am as dumb as anything. So I am wondering if the computer could just need to be reset, or maybe it is getting lack of power (bad Alt. or Batt.). Maybe, a harness has come loose (Just wondered why it would do it all of the sudden, at a stand still in park, with car turned off), or something? I've ruled out a fuseable link, or the ignition switch. I have an educated guess, but still grasping at straws...

Thanks in advance, Rick

Reply to
Ricky Eck

Yea, haynes arent that great. As far as the electronics & computer, they work the same way. But in any case you need a shcematic. I thought you had already reset the computer when you mentioned it before. Just disconnect the battery cable. Leave it off for a minute or two.

Reply to
Micah