89 Pontiac Grand Am

I don't have a manual, so I'll ask on here. My sevice engine soon light comes on - what is it refering to?

Reply to
rambler60

Your car has a problem. The Service Engine Soon light is triggered by the car's computer, and is telling you that a sensor, or part is malfunctioning. The car needs to be scanned with an OBD scan tool, and that will tell you what the problem is.

Reply to
80 Knight

Ouch, now I'm glad I asked. Someone said it might be my transmission. It had a part that malfunctioned - to slow the driveshaft or something when I came to a stop - they fixed it by unplugging it.

Reply to
rambler60

That could very well be what is causing the light to come on. You can't just go around unplugging sensors. If the car's computer detects one not working (or unplugged), it will trigger the light. Whatever problem you had needs to be fixed, not simply unplugged.

Reply to
80 Knight