1990 300zx engine sputters at high rpm

My 1990 non-turbo zx has 99k, has been reasonably well taken care of and has given me very little trouble over the years. Recently it has begun to die out at rpm's over 4k. It acts almost like it is hitting a rev limiter. If I let off the gas a bit the rpm's will begin to climb some, but obviously with less power. The problem seems to be worse in higher gears suggesting power might somehow be involved. If I rev it with the clutch in, no problem - flies high. Also - when the RPM's stop going up - the car stops accelerating (as you would figure!) however it sounds like something is revving up... Very strange. If it were not for the RPM needle not going up I might think it was transmission related but it is definitely the engine. What does this sound like? Any change its fuel injectors or something? Could it be plugs? The plugs only have about 30k on them, but it has taken a long time to put those miles on - maybe they needed cleaned? Any ideas would be helpful - thanks!

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

Not very many people here unfortunately. Try posting this on

Its full of all kinds if Z owners

Reply to
smoove

Thanks for the tip!

Reply to
Chris

On Wed, 28 May 2008 16:06:02 -0500, chuckwagon writ:

Do you even realize that you're responding to a Usenet post from December '06?

Reply to
freemont