'95 Bonnie timing chain cover leaker

Anyone experience coolant leaks from timing chain cover on the 3800 series 2 engine? Just got done replacing intake gaskets and the plastic intake now to find this additional leak ............comments??? Capt. Zeep

Reply to
KB9MAE

Does coolant run through the timing cover?

Perhaps the intake gasket is still leaking. What about the water pump, its bolted over the Timing cover. Maybe the bypass hose is loose or the plastic pipe it connects to cracked whe the Intake was removed, this would cause antifreeze to rrun down the timing cover.

Good Luck

Harryface

91 Bonneville 269,000 miles. ( Note : temporary address )
Reply to
Harry Face

'95 Bonnie timing chain cover leaker Group: alt.autos.pontiac Date: Sat, Oct 4, 2003, 5:14am (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (KB9MAE) Anyone experience coolant leaks from timing chain cover on the 3800 series 2 engine? Just got done replacing intake gaskets and the plastic intake now to find this additional leak ............comments??? Capt. Zeep

So ya got a 3.8l with coolant leaking down your timing cover.Oil should be behind your timing cover.Sounds like to me ya have a leaking water pump......If ya just did the intake this will be no problem for ya .you can do a simple compression test and you should be able to find out real fast . But im willing to bet its the pump...Did you do the intake or did someone else?????????If you did did you change the oil?Has nothing to do with the water leak but you can get water in your oil when doing an intake just a concern if ya didnt know... steve

Reply to
Steve Cook

Yeah pumping up that cooling system is a good idea. Also putting die in your system might help you trace the leak down. Degrease and hose everything down first so you get a fresh clean surface to inspect. There is an elbo that comes out of the lower intake that may not be sealing good. Where abouts on the timing chain cover are you seeing coolant? Left side, right side, high, low? I might be able to compair with my engine and see where the problem area could be coming from.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Yes, I did gunk the engine, replaced the plastic upper housing and the timing cover and weeps anitifreeze only when cold. No blown head gasket or o-rings, just a pesky weep that must be repaired, no doubt about it, it's from the cover. I was curious if this was a typical problem with the 3800 series 2 engine, will find out once I yank it down. Thanks for your replies..........

Reply to
BushmanBro

Found the leak, was one of those pesky O-rings between the tensioner adaptor and water pump, not bad to repair but the O-rings were $9.00 each, yes, you read correctly..........blasted thing dribbled right down the side of timing cover, caught it after taking alternator and PS pump off while pressure testing.......thanks all for your help..... Capt. Zeep

Reply to
BushmanBro