Looking for info on Engine Code reader

Hello, I have seen several websites shows engine code with a reference table and I thought this could be beneficial for me. I am looking for information to
buy (or not to buy) an engine code reader for GM Pontiac Bonneville and Sunfire GT (2.4L year 2000). I am planning to use it as an information or for home engine trouble shooting purpose.
Questions: 1/ Is there something I can buy from automotive shop that offer the same codes reading capability as in GM garage? 2/ Can I use the same code reader unit for Sunfire or other GM product ? 3/ Can I use the same code reader on other made vehicle such as Volvo? and lastly ! 4/ Which code reader model is the best buy for the buck?
Thanks for the help.
MN
If you plan on using this just on post 94 cars you can buy any obdII reader. (all cars are required to have obdII systems 95 and up so the make and model does not mater.) For my own personal use I bought a palm pilot and a obdII hookup for it. It only reads powertrain codes however but there are others out there.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Thanks for the info. I am wondering why would you need palm pilot? Doesn't the code reader has a screen? Do you have a link for obdII? If it need a palm pilot, I do have palm III. Regards, MN
says...

and I

or
snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca says...

If you got a palm III then your half way there. About 200 bucks for the hook up and your set. Heres the company I bought mine off of. http://www.auterraweb.com / There are others so do some shopping around using google seaches.
whoa! Super timing BRK, my mom was about to give away a Palm IIIxe. Snag! GW
"Bonneville" wrote:

Hey thats good. I forgot to mention you can download the program and run it in demo mode without the hookup. Also you can still look up most Powertrain codes on it as well. The software is free just the hookup isnt.

Yeah those are great! I wish there was one for 94 though .. :(
says...

Doesn't