95 GA strange H2O replacement problem

Hello,

I am replacing the water pump in our 95 Grand Am with a 2.3 liter

4 cyl. I removed the old pump and compared to the new one.

If they aren't identical I can't see the difference. But I try to install the new one and it stops about 1/16 of an inch from seating. So I think it must be different, take the old pump and try to put it back and it stops 1/16 short also.

So I am thinking now that somehow the framus that drives the pump pushed out a bit and I just need to install it and not worry about it. I put the old one back in and tightened the bolts down and it seats with little resistance from whatever it fits into in the engine.

Anybody else had this problem?

Thanks.

Reply to
Scott

On some years on that engine (Quad-4/or SOHC 2.3) you need to remove the timing cover, to align the water pump drive into the timing chain. Slightly extra difficult? Yes, GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh