9000 CSE PowerSteering foaming

I have a 96 9000 CSE turbo 4. When I started it today, heard and felt a grumpling from the power steering. Opened hood and found power steering fluid foaming and being pushed out of resevouir. Allowed the fluid to settle, refilled the container, replaced cap, and tried again, with similar results. Help? Seems to be picking up air somewhere, yet, do not seem to have or find a leak anywhere. Dealer suggested it was just low and to refill, but pump seems to be generating or frothing up the fluid. Please help, and any suggestions, opinions are welcome. New pump is 561, and 3 hoses total another 500, then theres labor, so I"m not a happy camper right now....Thanks, in advance for all urgent help, as I can not drive the car pushing all the PS fluid out of it.

Reply to
Chuck Grospitch

Can't help you on why the car foams at the reservoir. Look carefully in the engine compartment if there is evidence of a leak. Maybe the fluid is very old?

But a new PS pump costs $300, not $561. A used one can be had for as little as $25. Also, there is no need to replace the entire system, pump and hoses. The PS system is as good as the weakest link. You only need to replace the weakest link when you find it.

If you let the dealer has his way, he'd replace the engine for a broken belt.

Reply to
yaofeng

Reply to
Chuck Grospitch

Now you know why used PS pumps are so cheap. Because what your indy said so you couldn't sell a used one to anyone.

Your hoses are likely good. None is under vacuum that they would suck air. The three hoses are all under pressure. Only the one from the reservoir to the pump is at low pressure. The other two are under higher presure.

Maybe you can flush the system by using a syringe to suck fluid from the reservoir to refresh with new power steering fluid. That requires no wrenching at all.

Reply to
yaofeng