'96 Bonneville Belt Change & Gasping

Hey all. I am trying to replace the belt on my '96 Bonneville with the regular non-supercharged 3800 Series 2. Can anyone give me some detailed instructions to replace the belt? I heard you have to take off one of the motor mounts but other then that I am lost.

Also, the car has one other problem. When you are at a dead stop in either Park or Drive and you give it gas sometimes it will sort of 'gasp' for air before it rev's or takes off. Once it get's going it runs great and accelerates incredible, but this sort of 'gasp' it does at the beginning worries me a little. You can even here it make the 'gasp' noise. Any suggestions? BTW, the car has 268,900 KM's on it.

Thanks everyone

Reply to
80 Knight

As far as I know the belt would be the same setup as the one on my 94 bonneville, If that is true all you have to do is place a wrench on the belt tensioner and push it towards the back of the vehicle, when it is loose enough remove the belt. replace with new belt. I have never had to pull a motor mount to replace a belt. Water pump on the other hand....you do.

Reply to
Knight

As far as I know you're '94 has the Series I 3800 and that one I have changed the belt on before and, as you said, it is rather easy, however there are mounts in the way of getting the belt off on a Series II 3800. Pain in the butt, if you ask me. lol

Reply to
80 Knight

The mount does not have to come off. Take the bottom bolt off the front mount. There is a removeable spacer that will allow the belt to be removed.

Reply to
Old And In The Way

Document ID# 216078

1998 Pontiac Bonneville ________________________________________ Drive Belt Replacement VIN K

Removal Procedure

The accessory drive belt controls all engine-mounted accessories. All driven accessories rigidly mount to the engine. A spring-loaded belt tensioner maintains the drive belt tension. A belt squeak, occurring when starting or stopping the engine, it has not effect on belt durability. The drive belt tensioner can control the belt tension over a broad range of belt length. However, there are limits to the tensioner's compensation ability. When using the tensioner outside of its operating range, poor tension control and/or damage to the tensioner may occur.

Remove the following components. Refer to Engine Mount Replacement .

  1. The engine mounting bracket lower nut.
  2. The engine mounting bracket lower stud.
  3. The engine mounting bracket lower spacer.
  4. Remove the belt.

Installation Procedure

Install the belt. Refer to Engine Mount Replacement in order to install the following components:

  1. The engine mounting bracket lower nut.
  2. The engine mounting bracket lower stud.
  3. The engine mounting bracket lower spacer.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Much appreciated everyone.

Reply to