Timing Belt Change?

I own a 2001 V-8 Tundra with 102,000 miles. It runs great. I was recently told that it is way overdue for a timing belt change and the nearest dealer wants a small fortune to do that repair. Is this necessary or was the person telling me that just misinformed? TIA for any advice!

Reply to
pr

If it has a belt, it should be changed around every 90k. Some people get them to go 120k, a lot depends on operating conditions. If it's an "interference engine", then a broken belt can cause serious damage. If it's a "non-interference engine", then a broken belt just leaves you at the side of the road. Suggest you get more info from the dealer about your type of engine, then proceed. They will also try to sell you things like a water pump change and various "related" service.

Reply to
DanG

If you have the timing belt replaced, you might as well go ahead and get the water pump replaced. You'll be paying for the labor to replace the timing belt so the only extra will be the cost of the water pump. Well worth it in my opinion. Of course, if you've had the water pump replaced already, then maybe not.

Reply to
Dean

It's too bad the 4.7L V8 uses a timing belt. What a shame. Real workhorses use timing chains.

According to Gates online application guide, the 4.7L V8 is an INTERFERENCE ENGINE and has a specified interval of 90K miles (typically with a time interval of 6 years). So you are due for a new belt. An interference engine can be damaged if the belt snaps (see the Gates link below).

Typically you have a timing belt package at a negotiated price (not when the mechanic brings you in on the belt and then adds an idler here and a seal there, that will cost an arm and a leg and some places are good at this). The typical package would include: idler pulley, tensioner pulley, cam/crank oil seals, water pump, drive belts.

Serpentine w/AC: K060908 Timing belt: T298

johngdole

The whole idea of doing the timing belt and water pump at the same time is that 95% of the teardown and replacement work is identical for both jobs, they are right next to each other. And on some engines the water pump is driven by the timing belt, so if the water pump bearings fail and it seizes up it will break the timing belt.

If you do both jobs at once it should cost you about $50 - $150 more for the water pump and about a half-hour of additional labor.

If they want to charge $900 for the water pump and $900 for a timing belt like they are two totally separate jobs that have nothing in common, and won't give you any sort of a "2-for-1 deal", you are being ripped off bigtime.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I KNEW I came to the right place, asking about my Tundra and it's timing belt. Thanks to all for the great information...I am going out to three separate garages (one dealership) tomorrow to get some quotes on this job. And yes, while they are in there, I'll get a new water pump put on too! Again, thanks!

Reply to
pr