96 sunfire passenger seat slider

Hi Guys,

New to the group here, so go easy on me. *g*

96 Pontiac Sunfire, 2.2L standard transmission, two-door

I'm having some troubles with this sunfire's passenger seat. Basically, the cable/wire between the left and right sides of the passenger seat "adjustment assembly" came off the other day while sliding the passenger seat forward (too much stuff under the seat, I guess).

The cable (It's more like a rigid piece of wire) connects the release on the left track for the front/back slider to the release on the right track so that when the adjustment handle under the front of the seat (or on the back, to drop the back forward and slide the seat) is pulled, both sides of the track release. Without this cable installed, the seat's forward position can't be adjusted.

I was able to figure out how to re-install the cable (it has hooks bent onto each end) but I also found two smallish, tightly coiled springs beneath the seat when the cable came off. It isn't immediately obvious where these springs are supposed to go, or what they do. I wouldn't bother asking about them, except the left release on the rail doesn't always release properly when the handles are pulled. So I assume the springs do something.

My Haynes repair manual doesn't go into any detail about the seat assembly at all, so I was wondering if anyone with a similar car knows anything about these?

Regards, Sam

Reply to
Sam Schinke

Sam

I think what your problem is is the left & right tracks aren't in sync with one another.

When the wire came off your lever - then the seat was moved, only one side of the roller track moved, the other side didn't. You've got to get them back to their original location. It might involve unbolting the seat from the floor

Those heavy coil springs I think are called return springs and aid in pulling the seat backwards. They typically attach to the front & rear legs. Look for something like a V shape groove or tang on the leg track.

Good Luck

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~277, 300 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

What Harry said. The springs could be the springs that pull the detent levers back into the detent when released. They should be about 2" long not including the straight parts.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=