Toyota 06' Highlander power window lift arm pops out of track ?

Left rear door, power window, suddenly stops going up and down. Power window motor runs the lift arm moves up and down. The glass can be slid manually up and down. But no auto-power window lifting.

I pulled the trim and the lift arm has a square piece of plastic that slips into metal channel at bottom of the glass. The lift arm had popped out. I was able to slip the lift arm into the track from the end of the metal channel. The channel appears to have a special flared end that makes slipping the lift arm in easy when you get it into the proper position.

**BUT** lift arm pops back out within 3 up/down window cycles ?

Can not figure out what happen / Why ... The arm seems straight there have been no wrecks or damage to the door. The lift motor mechanism does not appear to have any adjustments. Nothing appears to have broken or bent anywhere ?

Any ideas about what to look for would be greatly appreciated.

robb

P.S. apologies for cross post on a non-toyo site. The toyo sites have very little traffic and most of it is religio-phobic-ranting.

Reply to
robb

[...]

**** Robb, Try spraying silicone lubricant in the side tracks of the window. Do not use WD-40 or other lubricant as it may soften the rubber gaskets.

You can use aerosol lithium grease on the regulator where the arms cross.

Make sure that the motor is anchored properly and not shifting.

Reply to
Ray O
[trimmed - recap ]

Thanks Ray O, For the reply and help.

I found the problem for any who own these vehicles.

Problem:

------------ The rear door window lift brackets on the highlander (others?) is=20 pretty marginal design.

There is a 12 inch metal "lift bracket" that slides onto the bottom of=20 the rear door glass. It is wedged onto the edge of glass over a piece=20 rubber channel.

Well "wedged" and "slipped over" should give all the hint that is=20 needed.

Upon inspection i noticed that the metal "lift bracket" had shifted=20 (slipped) backwards along the edge of the glass about 1.5 - 2 inches.=20 This is enough of a shift that the regulator lift arm will just barely=20 slip out of the end of this "lift bracket" when the window glass is=20 about half way down and therefore disengage the regulator lift arm=20 from the glass.

Solution :

------------ Remove the glass from the door and slip the bracket back into the=20 proper position. Additionally, possibly, strategically apply some sort of silicone=20 adhesive to slow or stop the bracket from slipping in the future.

hth others

robb=20

Reply to
robb
[trimmed - recap ]

Thanks Ray O, For the reply and help.

I found the problem for any who own these vehicles.

Problem:

------------ The rear door window lift brackets on the highlander (others?) is pretty marginal design.

There is a 12 inch metal "lift bracket" that slides onto the bottom of the rear door glass. It is wedged onto the edge of glass over a piece rubber channel.

Well "wedged" and "slipped over" should give all the hint that is needed.

Upon inspection i noticed that the metal "lift bracket" had shifted (slipped) backwards along the edge of the glass about 1.5 - 2 inches. This is enough of a shift that the regulator lift arm will just barely slip out of the end of this "lift bracket" when the window glass is about half way down and therefore disengage the regulator lift arm from the glass.

Solution :

------------ Remove the glass from the door and slip the bracket back into the proper position. Additionally, possibly, strategically apply some sort of silicone adhesive to slow or stop the bracket from slipping in the future.

hth others

robb

=====================

Perhaps some of that black Sika, Sikaflex 291 adhesive would be good - flexible, waterproof and very strong. Most hardware stores carry it.

Dennis
[...]

********** I wouldn't glue the glass in place or it will be a bear to replace if the glass is ever broken. Get a piece of an old inner tube to use a shim to grip the glass.

Ironically, I just worked on the regulator for a friend's Blazer this weekend.

Reply to
Ray O

I have same problem - drivers side rear door. I think the problem is that the channel attached to the glass was not installed in proper position or it has slid towards rear. I watched as lift arm (regulator) moved the window down and about halfway down the arm is all the way towards the front of the channel and slides right out! I see scuff marks on the window in front of the channel where the channel is attached to the window. Looks like the channel slid back which would be consistent with the cause of this problem. I do not know how to fix it. Pat L

Reply to
Pat Litke

I also had the same problem. Took it to the local Toyota dealer and they p= ut it back in the track. This lasted for a week and then it came out again= . Ended up having to get a new window regulator installed at a cost of $22=

  1. The dealer said they'd never seen this problem before. Been working fin= e for a year.
Reply to
Spud

I removed the door panel and watched the regulator arm slide off the end of the channel that is attached to the glass! I saw scuff marks where the channel had slid back which results in not enough channel in the front so that is why it slid out. I removed the window and took it to a auto glass shop where they removed and re-installed the channel where it should be then I re-installed the glass, regulator and door panel. Pat

Reply to
Pat Litke

Rob, my 2002 had identical problem. After several "do overs" to reinstall regulator into channel, I found the channel (pressure mounted to glass over rubber "bushing") had shifted to the rear of the glass approx 1 1/2" and as I would lower the window glass the square nylon bushing would just slide out the forward end of the channel. Took to auto glass shop and they removed glass, removed channel from glass and reinstalled channel where "marks" on glass clearly indicated it originally was placed. Reinstalled & connected regulator and alls well! With interior door panel removed and glass completely in up position, you can clearly see marks on the glass if the channel has slid towards rear of glass. Good luck, Pat C

Reply to
Pat C

replying to robb, Pat Litke wrote: Same thing happened to me several times now. I saw some smears on the glass at end of the track that is attached to the glass. Here is what I believe is happening. The track is installed over a rubber gasket that is wrapped around the bottom edge of the glass. The rubber gasket (along with the steel track) is sliding towards the rear thus the lift arm has less track to follow forward and slips out. This sliding back was evidenced by the scuff marks on the glass directly forward of the rubber gasket and steel track. This last time I attempoted to prevent if from ever moving again by marking where the track should go, pulled of the steel track and rubber gasket then put glue inside the gasket on both sides, reinstalled the gasket, put glue on both sides of the steel track and reinstalled the track. Be aware of how fast the glue sets and get the gasket and track back on before it sets. I had very tough time getting the track back on over the gasket. I had to use bar clamps and slowly, incrementally tightening them - all the time I was afraid I would shatter the glass. Let me know if you need to know how to get the window out of the door.

Reply to
Pat Litke

replying to Pat Litke, Pat Litke wrote: ... and then it happened again so this time I glued the rubber channel and the steel channel to the glass. Yes I am concerned that it may not come off if glass has to be replaced.

Reply to
Pat Litke

replying to Pat C, Pat Litke wrote: I went to Toyota dealer and asked about it. The service manager said they are not aware of this problem. All they have to do is search internet and find all of us that do have this problem! I am do not think my next vehicle will be Toyota due to all the issues I have had with my Highlander.

Reply to
Pat Litke

replying to Pat Litke, mike wrote: Working on the same problem. How did you get the glass out of the door? Pics?

Reply to
mike

replying to Pat Litke, Brian wrote: I have the window problem on my 2006 highlander, the rear passenger window came off the track , I put it back on track. But when I roll it almost to the top (

4'' to close completely) it stopped , even I used my hand to give it a push, but it did not move. I don't know if the track was in the right position or the regulator got weaken after 10 years. Should I replace the window regulator motor or the whole regulator set?
Reply to
Brian

replying to Pat Litke, g26m wrote: how do u get window out. when i took my door panel off, the track/rubber gasket was lying at the bottom of the door. only way i figure i can get it back on bottom of window is sliding the track onto bottom of window from one side but can't figure how to get window out of door.

Reply to
g26m

replying to Pat Litke, Gary B wrote: I had same issue. Window slid in its bracket towards rear of vehicle enabling lift arm to slip out of its track. With 2x4 and hammer on metal track was able to put it back to original position (was about 1.5 inches out of place). So far so good. I do not know how it had slid 1.5 inches in the first place so Im sure it could/will happen again.

Reply to
Gary B