'97 Grand Am - Anything to Look Out For?

I killed my '86 6000 LE (blown headgasket, broken bolts in cylinder head, bad heater core, etc) after 186,000 miles. As much as I love that car, it seems like a bad idea to put $1,500.00+ in it - especially since I did that three years ago when I replaced the timing gears.

It looks as though I'll be given a '97 Grand Am 4-door with 70,000 miles. It checked out with the dealer with some minor problems (belts, rear passenger window may need a new motor). Does this year/model have any known weak spots or common problems? Any tips appreciated.

Reply to
REP

Depending on which engine you have: Look for blown headgasket, blown intake gaskets, etc. Bad heater core, warped rotors, stuck caliper slides, etc.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

It's the 3.1 (I think). Thanks for the info; what you described is a lot like what I have now!

Reply to
REP