98 Grand Prix intake manifold leaks

My 98 SE (124,000miles) has developed intake manifold leaks in the front and back (right and left sides?) of the motor. The mechanic stated that the radiator fluid is leaking into the oil (as well as leaking outside the motor) and it must get fixed soon. No argument here. He also recommended changing the water pump also. (not too sure about this, what would be the groups consensus?).

If I get this done, what else should I have him look at (i.e. timing belt )? The car runs great and I have no other major issues with it.

TIA Derek...

Reply to
Derek Voisin

If that's the original pump then the shaft seal should start leaking soon. Go ahead and change it. It won't need a chain for another 150k miles. Have the teck look closely at the egr tube in the manifold.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Water pump? Depends... It would be a little easier to get to while the top end is appart. Not a nessessary preventive maintenance part like a Honda where a "timing belt" could be ruined by coolant thus destroying the valves. If you dont regularly travel far from home just replace it when it when it actually shows signs of a problem IMO.

You have no timing "belt". The the car will rust away before the timing "chain" gives out especially with proper oil changes.

Heres what you need to read for your intake,

never had time to make it nice and neat.

Reply to
Bon·ne·vil

Reply to
Shep

Sorry bout that. It's the 3.8.

My commute is anywhere from 40 to 80 miles round trip (depending on whether I take public transportation or not).

The only thing not original under the hood is the alternator and thermostat.

Derek...

Reply to
Derek Voisin

Reply to
Shep

If he found coolant in the oil, get that oil changed ASAP! Oil and coolant turns acidic and will eat away at the bearings inside your engine. Mike

Reply to
TANYA LAWSON