alternator problem for 91 Pontiac sunfire 2.0 L engine

My father in law bypassed the Bat terminal cable when he replaced the alternator. He jumped it with a wire straight from the Bat to the positive side of the battery. What are the consequences? Now the high mounted parking brake light is on when the light switch is on. With the daytime running light, when I stepped on the brake, the dash lights come on. I think he shorted the original Bat cable, because the charging light was off. Help please.

Reply to
LT

alternator problem for 91 Pontiac sunfire 2.0 L engine Group: alt.autos.pontiac Date: Mon, Oct 6, 2003, 2:24pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca (LT) My father in law bypassed the Bat terminal cable when he replaced the alternator. He jumped it with a wire straight from the Bat to the positive side of the battery. What are the consequences? Now the high mounted parking brake light is on when the light switch is on. With the daytime running light, when I stepped on the brake, the dash lights come on. I think he shorted the original Bat cable, because the charging light was off. Help please

bypassed the cable for what?jumped it from the pos side to where?the charging light is on because your running off your battery and not your alternator and your battery is running down.A shorted battery cable wil not do this but will have a voltage restirction lacking or having no voltage able too pass through.Why didnt he hook it up the way it was? What was the problem in the first place to make him think it was the alternator? Try removing the jumper and hooking it up the way it is supposed to be before you do burn something up.

Reply to
Steve Cook

Reply to
Slicknick

Re: alternator problem for 91 Pontiac sunfire 2.0 L engine I tried to figure the jump wire out myself .A jumper from the bat to the bat will be big spark lol yep need more info

There's a sign on a garage not far from here: "We fix do it yourself repairs" How can you go from the Bat to the Battery? Aren't they the same thing? or do you mean Alt to the Battery? You always disconnect the battery when doing anything to the electrical system. I think you need more description here to get any help. LT wrote: My father in law bypassed the Bat terminal cable when he replaced the alternator. He jumped it with a wire straight from the Bat to the positive side of the battery. What are the consequences? Now the high mounted parking brake light is on when the light switch is on. With the daytime running light, when I stepped on the brake, the dash lights come on. I think he shorted the original Bat cable, because the charging light was off. Help please.

Reply to
Steve Cook

I should have said the Bat terminal on the alternator. I tried to replace the jumper wire with the original one, however, the charging light doesn't come on. It will come on with the jumper cable though. ???

Reply to
LT

Re: alternator problem for 91 Pontiac sunfire 2.0 L engine Group: alt.autos.pontiac Date: Tue, Oct 7, 2003, 2:11pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca (LT) I should have said the Bat terminal on the alternator. I tried to replace the jumper wire with the original one, however, the charging light doesn't come on. It will come on with the jumper cable though. ???

Ok what your saying is the charging light is not on but when you jump it it comes on?Does your car start?there are two connections to your alternator the battery and then theres a snap in electrical connector.Sounds to me you have a bad connection and the reason the light does come on with the jumper cables is your charging off the other car.Or did you mean you used a set of cables to jump from your battery to your alternator?Its not a rare thing to buy a bad alternator did you have them test it when you bought it?another reason is the gauge of the new jumpper wire may not be big enough and this causes a voltage restriction and your old one could just be bad......know anyone with a voltmeter to see if your alt is putting out voltage and to check the wire ?also look at the snap in connector to see if any of the prongs were bent...be alot easier if i could see it lol

Reply to
Steve Cook