Toyota Camry Guru needed Please & Thank you!

I recently got a 1988 Camry Wagon given to me, the car is rusty but everything works. I love the car it may look bad but it drives so well. If I don't have any major mech. problems by the summer I will get some newer fenders for the ol' gal and give her a fresh coat of paint.

But there is one very irritating problem, after the car has warmed up and been driven for about 15 minutes the "Battery", "Emerg.Brake" and "Lights" idiot lights come on, and stay on. I am thinking a short somewhere, I have checked all the fuses, all fine, the previous owner who had the same problem thought it was the alternator, but that was checked and found to be OK, or so I have been told.

SO TOYOTA CAMRY GURU'S out there any ideas!!, I am very interested in hearing your suggestions.

Many Thanks

Neil

Reply to
neil

IIRC, the Camry does not have an emergency brake warning light although it does have a brake warning light. It is possible that the lights are functioning properly and you have problems with your battery, brakes, and lights.

For the battery, check to make sure that the connections to the alternator battery, and where the negatrive battery cable attaches to the chassis are all tight and free from corrosion. Make sure that the thin wire attached to the positive battrery clamp along with the thick wire is in good shape.

For the brakes, make sure that the brake fluid is above the minimum level in the reservoir. See if the brake warning light goes off when you lift the float in the reservoir cap. Unplug the wiring to the switch on the parking brake pedal (if you have a V-6)or lever (if you have a 4-cylinder) and see if the light goes off.

Check all the exterior lights in the carm including the center high-mounted stop lamp.

Check the ground wires in the tailgate and check the wires where they pass from the tailgate hatch to the body.

Reply to
Ray O