car dies when slowing down

My 91 grand prix dies when I slow down but only after I had been going over 45 or so. My mechanic says to take off an overdrive switch or clip. I have no idea what that is. and another person told me it might be the cylinoid. help please

el

Reply to
elise-e

Sounds to me like the torque convertor solenoid is not releasing. The 3 speeds have that problem but not usually the 4 speed. Try unplugging the TCC connector at the trans.

Reply to
« Paul »

"user" wrote: > elise-e wrote: > > > > My 91 grand prix dies when I slow down but only after I had > been going > > over 45 or so. My mechanic says to take off an overdrive > switch or > > clip. I have no idea what that is. and another person told > me it might > > be the cylinoid. help please > > Sounds to me like the torque convertor solenoid is not > releasing. > The 3 speeds have that problem but not usually the 4 speed. > Try unplugging the TCC connector at the trans.

What does the tcc connector look like and where would I find it again. Sorry I am hardly familiar with Pontiac it is my girlfriend?s car so... I usually drive fords and such or other bigger trucks. I am not familiar with Pontiacs. But looking at the engine compartment it looks dumb as hell. For sake you have to remove so many things to get to the battery. What happens if her car dies and it just needs a jump? You have to have a freaking garage to get the cross bar off and the washer fluid container off or coolant whatever it is.... but why is the battery so hidden and not that easy to access? But my bro is a machaniqe so he has been helping me out and thinks it is the selonoid.

Reply to
elise-e

There should be a 4 wire connector plug on the trans, near the bellhousin= g, left side (towards radiator). It would help to know which trans is in that car. I think it is a 4T40 but not sure. On the 4 speed, unplugging the connector may also change the shift points= =2E

Reply to
« Paul »