Squealing Sound When Slowing Down

Despite almost rhyming this problem is only mildly obnoxious but I wanted to see if it was indicative of something serious, or maybe just brakes on their way out. Whenever I'm slowing down and get below a certain speed, say 15mph, there is a squealing noise coming from somewhere in the neighborhood of my front end. The squeal happens whether I'm braking or not, but if I am braking and it happens and I take my foot off the brake, the squeal continues. If I stomp on the pedal to slow very fast, the sound dies out relatively quickly. If I don't get above 15mph and slow down, the squeal never happens. Is this just that worn brake early warning piece of metal that I've read about (but haven't had a car with it before now)? I was under the impression that that only made noise when you WEREN'T braking, although this happens whether I am or not. Or could this potentially be some bearing slowly going bad?

Any and all thoughts welcome, Bill

Reply to
ueberbill

[...]

how old is your belt and how much fluid is in the power steering reservoir. Does the squeel change if you turn on the AC.

Reply to
DougW

The belt should be fairly newish. I'll check the power steering reservoir and try the A/C this evening.

Bill

Reply to
ueberbill

Have the wheels been pulled and the brakes closely examined?

Reply to
billy ray