HELP!! When i shift into Reverse my car dies.. it is acting like a kill switch

Help! My car starts and can go into first gear. but when i shift into reverse the car dies. its acting like it is a kill switch or something. what can i do to fix this problem? Any Ideas? thanks

Reply to
69vwdude

reverse lights hooked to the wrong side of the coil, possibly. Look for the fuse that crosses over the top of the carb. Follow it to the coil. It should be connected to the + side of the coil. If it's on the neg side, it might be causing the coil not to build up a field, thus kill the motor.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

thanks for helping me. it was the problem. the wire was on the neg. coil then i put it to the + which made it work thanks a lot.

Reply to
69vwdude

Sure! You got the backup lights polarity reversed. It acts like a killswitch. Reverse 'em back and be happy. (Don't even ask how I know this!)

Reply to
one_of_many

The reverse *lights* get their power from the coil. The contact is made when the shifter is put in reverse, and the tranny switch is pushed in.

Now, the wire should go to the POSITIVE side of the coil, but it sounds to me that it's now hooked top the negative side. Effectively shorting out the ignition. However the coil wires are connected, the reverse light wire has to be connected to the same terminal as the +12V wire from the wiring harness. That is, the OPPOSITE side of where the DISTRIBUTOR wire goes.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Darn, my reply was too late :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Hmmmm...might be a handy way to prevent someone from stealing your car when you park it....just swap the wire...hehehe...

Reply to
Pete Cressman