Coolant low

Coolant low light comes on, when weathers is approximately 34 to 36 degrees while speed of vehicle is 65/70mph dash coolant low light, lights up, if I slow down to 55mph coolant low light does not light up, does anyone know why this happens?

98 grand-prix
Reply to
John Castro

the speed and temp shouldn't affect the coolant light. the fluid may be sloching around the sensor. have you verified that the fluid level is correct? I know that the fluid sensors can be flaky...my 02 has come on and the fluid level was where it was supposed to be

Reply to
Nascar24Rulz

Rey

Reply to
Reynaud

Stopped at a rest stop to check fluid level and it was low after overfilling radiator, got back on the road and light came back on. During this time of the year running mostly straight anti-freeze with some water. Glad it's not something more serious other than a dash light coming on.

Thanks.

Reply to
John Castro

"Straight antifreeze with some water" is a mistake, and could cause a boil-over. The recommended antifreeze & water mix is a 50/50 ratio. Maximum recommended is 70% antifreeze, 30% water.

Straight antifreeze actually has a lower boiling point than a proper antifreeze/water mix. The "proper mix" should be used winter and summer.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Well, when your engine is turning faster, the water pump is turning faster, so that would increase the level gradient across the radiator, at least a little, lowering it on the downstream side. You should add some coolant.

Reply to
Joe