Enging Coolant Waring light on 96 Grand Am

I have a 96 Pontiac Grand Am 6 cylinder 3.1 lt. The red engine coolant waring light has come on, I added some 50/.50 Prestone Dexcool coolant mix to the coolant surge tank to the engine cold level but the light stays on. Does anybody know what the problem might be and how to fix it. Your prompt replies will be appreciated.

Thank You

Reply to
A clif

Number one: You have a leak that you will need to address. I'd hazard a guess that you may have an intake gasket leaking if you can't see any obvious external leak.

Number two: Tap the coolant overflow bottle right where the level sensor is. Often, when the coolant level goes down enough to turn on the light, the sensor gets a little bubble of air that keeps it from returning to the "off" position when coolant is re-introduced to the overflow bottle. Tapping the sensor area will usually fix this.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai