96 Pontiac Grand Am SE sounds like a diesel.

I have a 96 Pontiac Grand Am Se 2dr 6cy 2.4 liter that has about 70k on it . I have kept regular maintenance on the vehicle, (tunes-ups,
oil changes etc.) On a cold start the engines sounds like a diesel until i run about a block or two and then the sound goes away but I am wondering if this is portending a future problem or not. What is causing this and how can I fix it if posseble and also I'd like to know just how much milelage I can reasonably expect to get from a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am with proper maintenance. Your prompt replies will be appreciated.
snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net (TonyC) wrote in message

Sounds like you are describing piston slap. I had a 79 Olds 260 V8 with low mileage that did the same thing, also a BMW 528e. Both cars ran great in my case, and it was not a problem. Maybe one of the techs can give more insight if it is a problem or not in this engine.
Howard
That is piston slap, tends to get louder with age and mileage. When it gets too loud, watch for the possibility of cracking a piston. The reason for piston slap, a little too much clearance between the cylinder wall and the piston when cold. The reason why it's not heard after the engine has warmed up a bit, the piston has expanded enough to eliminate the excess clearance.