Fan selector switch on 2000 Sunfire question

The switch has 4 level settings. I can only hear the fan roar at 3 and 4 (4 is max). Is there a relay or resistor that control 1st and 2nd speed on this vehicle?

Reply to
none

The speed should be controlled by a resistor module.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

yes, there is a resistor that needs to be replaced. it is common for speed 1 and 2 to go out on GM vehicles....mine is out on my 2002 GTP

Reply to
Nascar24Rulz

Do you know where it locate? Is in engine compartment?

Reply to
none

its up under the dash near the blower motor...as I'm being told. I'll check into it for you

Reply to
Nascar24Rulz

Thanks, I have just replaced mine. It locates next to the blower motor under the dash on passenger side. It is a ceramic thick film resistor plate. I can see several burnt marked at few places what looks like water stain or condensation residue. I would rather see the old resistor coils type than this ceramic plate which seems to be not as reliable. Anyway, I hope it is good for few more years.

Reply to
none

Second question about this since reading today (other car was a Grand Prix..I think). Here was my response to that guy:

I have the same problem on my Grand Am, 2000. The fan only works on 3,4, and 5. I have had a water leak that got into the fuse boxes causing rust and corrosion. This has knocked out a few electrical things: Keyless remote, lock button on the doors (the unlock part still works though), had to pull the fuse for the fog lamps as they would come on in a rain storm. Same thing for the trunk, found it open after it rained. Now I have two zip lock freezer bags around the fuse housing units. It actually blocks the water from hitting the fuses and causes it to go directly onto the floor mat/side of car near hood release. You really want to check this out. Pontiacs are notorious for leaking water.

Reply to
Ryan