2000 focus heater fan switch

Can anyone tell me how to remove the dash so that i can replace the heater fan switch?

Reply to
wrinkled

In message , wrinkled wrote

What is the fault?

It is not unknown for the heater fan switch to fail but there is another fault that is fairly common. If the heater fan only works on the fastest settings the likelihood is that the thermal fuse in the resistor speed regulation module has failed.

For a related article, including removing switch see

One of the links to the circuit and details of thermal fuses has changed to

OR

If it is the thermal fuse then someone has recently suggested on this newsgroup that a replacement module can be obtained for around $15 (US) so its probably not worth a lower level do-it-yourself fix.

OR

Reply to
Alan

the heater fan switch only works on the first and second setting.

Reply to
wrinkled

I had the same problem with a 98 escort. It was not the switch. It was the connection for the blower that had failed. On mine, it was under the dash in the passenger side. Rather large 4 wire connector that for some reason looked like it had melted and corroded. Pulled it apart and cleaned it up and the 4 speeds started working again.

Reply to
Craig Bennett

Hello , i have the same problem , the fan of my focus only work in posicion

4 , were is located the thermal fuse blower? , i can´t find it , anyone can help me.

Thank you all, for your help.

"Alan" escreveu na mensagem news:S0X0R+ snipped-for-privacy@amac.fs.com...

Reply to
<vitor-ferreira

Hello , the heater fan only works on the fastest (posicion 4) , anyone can tell me were is located the thermal fuse? , i can´t find it , anyone can help me.

Thank you all, for your help.

"Alan" escreveu na mensagem news:S0X0R+ snipped-for-privacy@amac.fs.com...

Reply to
<vitor-ferreira

In message , snipped-for-privacy@netcabo.pt wrote

The thermal fuse is part of a module that also contains 3 resistors and can be found close to the blower fan. The fan is behind the glove box. If you flex the sides of the glove-box you can drop it down - you should then see the blower motor

Note that it may be an easier job to replace the whole module as it doesn't appear to be that expensive to buy from the ford parts department..

The links you quoted should give you more information

Reply to
Alan

I did this recently on my 2001 ZX3 US model built in Mexico.

  1. Take the glove box out. (Side panel in the foot well may have to come out as well)
  2. To the left of the blower motor housing, follow the wires closest to the housing to the firewall.
  3. The variable resistor should be a black or blue plastic rectangle approx
1" by 2" and is held on by one or two small bolts. It is very obvious once you eyeball it.
  1. When you pull it out, it will have, I believe, 3 resistors on the back.
  2. It cost me at the dealer for the part.

This is as best as I can remember and should be of help if you have a US model. I would ask the dealer to bring up a schematic on the microfiche showing you where yours is at on your model before you start tearing things up or ask a mechanic if my description is about right.

Good luck. Also, if your motor quits altogether before you replace the resistor you may have blown a fuse as well.

Reply to
EOO

ok, already found and I disassembled the unit, and the thermal fuse is melted, the resistances are good. if somebody wants pictures of the unit can send for the email, it is only to ask for snipped-for-privacy@netcabo.pt, thank to all by the help. does anybody know if I can just buy the thermal fuse and where?

escreveu na mensagem news:454a7711$0$26207$ snipped-for-privacy@news.telepac.pt...

Reply to
<vitor-ferreira

In message , snipped-for-privacy@netcabo.pt wrote

Yes you can buy thermal fuses on its own. In the UK the cost is around

1 GBP (2 US $). In the UK there are a chain of shops that sell electronic components and it is also available from a couple of UK mail order companies. It may not be a good idea to buy from a UK company if you are not in The UK as the cost post shipping will be _many_ time the cost of the item and buying the whole module from a local Ford dealer would be cheaper.

You need to find a company that sells electronic components in your own country.

See

Scroll down past the circuit diagram to the pictures of the pages form a couple of online catalogues.

Reply to
Alan

In message , snipped-for-privacy@netcabo.pt wrote

With permission, the photos have been reproduced on

Reply to
Alan

Reply to
JEODELL

In message , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote

Or from someone from Ebay selling the code for about $1.50 or from someone else who can tell you for nothing.

Reply to
Alan

I don't know the reason to buy a code, the code is part of the radio, when you buy it, the salesperson of the radio has to give you the code, here in portugal it is like this, but it can be obtained the code illegally, see in the site

escreveu na mensagem news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
<vitor-ferreira

TAKE THE RADIO OUT THEN TAKE OUT THE FOUR SCREWS AND PULL TO YOU

Reply to
rrwbuggers

Hi cant understand the panic about not to unplug the stereo if you have the code which most people have there isnt a problem.

Reply to
anoldfilm