Coolant suprise

Flushed my coolant today. I put the prestone tee in one of the heater hoses and completely flushed everything untill clear water came out. Here's what's got me baffled... When the guy at Firestone checked it with the tester, it was brown. The coolant that came out of the motor was reasonably green. Suprise #2: I bought the Zerex G-05 in the Gold jug.. the coolant was CLEAR!! Wierd!! Why is it that you have to use the G-05 instead of the regular prestone?

Thanks,

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Zerex G-05 in the aftermarket is pale yellow.

In other applications it is:
What vehicles use Zerex G-05 in the factory fill and what is the dye color?1984 Mercedes and beyond (light yellow)1990 Deere and Company vehicles and beyond (green)2001 Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep and beyond (orange)2002 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury trucks and SUVS and beyond (yellow)2003 Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury automobiles and beyond (yellow) You are certainly free to use Prestone, but this is what DC warns you will happen:

billy ray

I wonder what is in the WalMart no-name concentrate? It appears to be pale yellow too. They also sell the Prestone 50/50 mix, for the same price as the no-name concentrate.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

It is hard to say. Industry publications say that the 'automotive' Prestones are all OAT which is what DexCool uses. The Peak marketed specifically for DC, Ford and Mercedes is OAT according to the Peak website.

Most brands either claim OAT or refuse to reveal what anti corrosive package they use.

If you want the old fashioned "Green' coolant it is/was using IAT anti-corrosives. The only company I know for sure still makes it is Zerex in the white jug.

The new stuff is G-05 (HOAT or Glysantin) spec. I wouldn't use anything that doesn't say it contains one or more of these terms in big letters on the bottle. I would avoid products that don't list the package used and only say things like 'recommended for'. If it meets the G-05 standard it will say so clearly.

Wal-Mart used to post MSDS sheets online somewhere, it may well tell you who the original manufacturer is and the chemical composition (other than the ethylene glycol base)

Reply to
billy ray

I said "no name" because the name wasn't recognizible. It could easily be made by one of the name brand manufacturers. I'll bet it's the cheapest formulation though, and which one is that? There is a lot of information on the back, including the major ingredients. Next time I go I'll see if I can figure it out.

Thanks.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Ya know, It wasn't that long ago that it didn't matter what brand you bought because it was all IAT coolant....

That basic formula was made by everyone and it had been in use for decades but was no longer able to keep up with the changes in cooling system requirements.

Reply to
billy ray

It would be helpful to know if the cheap-ass (pardon my French) stuff is "safe for all uses" like it says on the can. Next time I get a chance, I will see what I can figure out from the label. If so, I know what I would use.

Earle

information

Reply to
Earle Horton

I just got three gallons of the Zerex G-05 for the TJ, which I plan to flush & fill this week if it gets above freezing, replacing the Zerex green. Billy, any advice? (I already have the flush tee installed.)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Earle,

Peak offers a "Universal" coolant that is also "Lifetime"

According to their own website and MSDS it contains OAT inhibitors. OAT inhibitors are specifically prohibited by DC, Ford, and Mercedes in the Factory Service ad Owner's Manuals. MSDS:

That would seem to make the universe a smaller place than you would first think.

On this products main web page they claim to meet ASTM D-3306 and ASTM D-4340

What are these test you ask... ASTM D-4340 measures Aluminum Corrosion - Heat Rejection at 25% concentration ASTM D-3306 measures pH, Foaming Properties at 88C, Initial Crystallization It would be helpful to know if the cheap-ass (pardon my French) stuff is

Reply to
billy ray
3 gallons? What is the capacity of your cooling system?

I used 2 gallons in my 15 quart system which gives me 53.3% = - 43/+267 coverage

Maximum coverage is achieved at 68%, greater than that the coverage actually decreases rapidly

Be sure to clean the expansion tank also. If you have a layer of slime or scum you may want to use a flush (mild) or cleaner (harsh) solution.

It would be worthwhile to be sure the heater core is drained or flushed with distilled water. The minerals in tap water promote corrosion.

Reply to
billy ray

I got a third gallon as well, for emergencies. Capacity is 12 quarts, I think. 2000TJ, I plan to keep it at a 50-50 mix.

Already planned on cleaning the expansion tank. This is my dilemma, the last time I flushed a cooling system myself (not including when the new rad was installed in the TJ in May of 2004, and then I didn't backflush completely) I didn't live where I am now. I have well-water here with lots of iron in it, I am wondering if it would be OK to flush the system with this. I can flush either with straight well water or water that's been through the softener; however considering the softener element is flushed periodically with a brine solution, I think that would be a bad idea.

I also plan to replace the rad & heater hoses.

Matt Macchiarolo

Don't believe everything you read. Technical writers love to dazzle you with bullshit. The 'cheap-ass stuff' is for morons who want to buy the cheapest crap they can get, and frankly...

...YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

Nothing but G-05 goes into my TJL, and the water mix will always be bottled and purified. For that big $20-bill twice a year, I can afford to be choosy!

Reply to
Outatime

That's an interesting theory, and I am no chemist, but I understand part of the drive for the new compounds is that they are EPA friendly (as opposed to environment friendly). I figure if it is cheap, it is probably the minimum they could squeak by the EPA, but maybe good for your car. You do not always get what you pay for. Priced a hybrid recently? ;^) It won't cost me anything to read that label.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

The 4 cylinder YJ takes a gallon and a half for about a 60/40 mix. I doubt the six cylinder takes much more.

Earle

completely)

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

They would probably refund your money you spent on the coolant.

Actually you would have to sue them and that would cost more than replacing the motor and cooling system.

I've got a picture somewhere showing what

Reply to
billy ray

They would probably refund your money you spent on the coolant.

Actually you would have to sue them and that would cost more than replacing the motor and cooling system.

I've got a picture somewhere showing the remains of a silicone seal from a Ford V-8 that was dissolved by Prestone... If I find it I'll forward it..

Reply to
billy ray

You can do the flushing with well or 'softened' water until it is completely clear then I would do another one with distilled to get the minerals rinsed out.

Be sure to use distilled to top off after filling with coolant concentrate.

Your hoses are 7 years old now, the general replacement age according to the aftermarket companies is 4 years...

billy ray

completely)

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III