GP front end question

I just had some extensive work done on the front end of my 2000 GT/GTP (tie rod ends, hub bearings, half-shafts -- all pairs).

While the initial problems seem corrected, there are two remaining issues:

1) The car tracks straight, but to do so, the steering wheel is at 2 o'clock. Wasn't this just laziness on the mechanic's part that could be "easily" corrected by pulling the steering wheel and repositioning it?

2) Know how when you make a turn, the steering wheel tends to return to it's center position when you let it go (assuimng that you're still moving forward)? Mine no longer does, and the wheel remains it it's turned position, ad infinitum, until manually returned to the center position by hand. Does this indicate a problem of some sort?

Pardon if these are dumb questions... my talents lie in computers, not mechanics. On a 1-10 scale, my knowledge of auto mechanics is about a 2 or

3.
Reply to
jwardl

You don't pull the steering wheel to center it. The car needs to have the tie rods adjusted. This is known as setting the toe in/out.

The car needs to have the caster adjusted. Caster is the setting that aligns the axis of the upper and lower ball joints to give it that "self centering" among other things. It sounds like after the shop replaced the parts they didn't properly align the car. Does this shop have an alignment machine? If not they probably tried to eyeball align it. Take it back.

Dumb questions are the ones that go unasked for fear of looking silly.

Reply to
FBR

They also charged me $99 for a front end alignment while it was there.

-jwardl

FBR wrote:

Reply to
jwardl

I'd take it back, describe the problems, and ask them to re-align it. They might not have test driven it after the alignment, although if it was correctly aligned that shouldn't matter. I've seen shops tack on an alignment after doing front end work yet the car never sees the alignment rack unless it comes back with problems. Sad but true.

Good Luck

Reply to
FBR

Yes, I would definitely take the car back & get the correct alignment procedure. That's a downright insult to you the customer to turn the car over in that condition.

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE
Reply to
markwb

what was wrong witth the car that you had to have all that front end work? I know that the GP has a history of crapping tie rod ends, but what was up with the rest? just curious :O)

Reply to
GT Grand Prix 00

Reply to
jwardl