Grandprix GTP from 1994/95

Hi, how's everyone? I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little about the GTP from 94/95? It's the car I wish my parents had bought, rather than the 4 door se Grandprix. Is it supercharged? What kind of horsepower/torque ratings does it normally produce? Any reliability questions? Bad experiences, good experiences? All info would be appreciated, thanks so much!!

Reply to
ezra

Nope, not supercharged. Its 3.4 DOHC is good for 210 HP@5200 and 215 lb ft of torque@4000 RPM. From what I hear they're pretty reliable and if it has the 4T60-E tranny do not keep the RPMs up there all the time. I guess the alternator' a PITA to get to and replace. One guy I know just replaced it with a heavy duty one on his 4th change and he hasn't had a problem since.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

isnt that the same engine in the monte carlo z34's of that year.. b/c when i bought my monte carlo they said do not get the 3.4 DOHC engine... its like

250 bucks for the alternator b/c you have to do like a 8 inch engine lift or some stuff... and that it was nothing but a big lemon.... read up on epinions for them.... 1995-1997 monte carlo z34's

Reply to
Heath Darwin

Yea, one and the same engine. The alternator is placed at the firewall end near the passenger side either halfway down the engine or all the way down the engine (I'm not sure which). The newer 3.4s (pushrods) are the ones that you shouldn't get.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

I have a 94 GTP that I bought new. I had to have the alternator replaced in '01. Can't remember the exact cost, but it was a few hundred $$ parts and labor. The car had over 100,000 miles on it at the time. That replacement went bad after about a month and was replaced under warranty. Starter went out in '02 at a cost of about $200. When I first got the car, I had continuing problems with the check engine light coming on. Each time the service department said it was the camshaft position sensor. Problem was eventually solved by replacing a wiring harness that went through the steering wheel. Other than the problems caused by incompetent/dishonest mechanics, it has been a very reliable car.

Reply to
Sig