HELP - WATER IN THE FRONT PASSENGER AREA

HI,

Has anyone ever encountered water accumulating in the front of the front passenger seat (feet area). I just purchased a 97 Grand Prix SE and lately I've noticed the carpet has been getting drenched. It usually happens after rainy weather. I don't believe it's dripping down from the windshield. I suspect it's coming in under the carpet thru the floor area somewhere. I checked both wheel wells and both seem the same, but it only happens on the right side (FSP). I gun taped (duct) around one portion of the molding behind the wheel to start my trouble shooting process. I bought some splash guards and I will be installing them this week-end, hopefully this solves the problem.

I hope someone else has heard about this problem and has any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

MAV

Reply to
Maverick

Check the plastic piece that goes between the windshield and firewall. It should be tightly sealed to the windshield. Check the upper firewall rain drains - there are two.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=A0?=

I have a similar problem with a 2000 Grand Am GT. The water comes in behind the passenger seat, though, and during really hard rain, I'll end up with a puddle a 1/2 inch deep. I've found that it is coming through the door. I don't know exactly what is causing it though, as nothing on that side looks different from the driver's side (nothing looks more worn out, broken, missing, etc).

Reply to
Ken Briscoe

It could possibly be the water deflector in the passenger door. I've had this problem on my Bonneville. I would think that the doors on the Grand Prix's are similar to Bonnevilles with regard to the water deflectors, but not entirely sure. Have someone outside car pour a bucket of water slowly over glass on passenger side door (door shut & window shut) while you're inside lying across front seats. Look down at passenger door interior door panel near carpet retainer (sill) to see if any water coming out from behind the panel onto floor.

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE
Reply to
markwb

Thanks to everyone so far who have replied. I will check all your suggestions and let you know.! MAV

97 Pontiac Grand Prix SE

Reply to
Maverick

Reply to
Mr. Bo Jangles

Did you get your leak fixed? Some of the posts were far fetched. Anyway, when it was raining, did you have your AC or defrost on? The Grand Prix's have a problem with the AC drain hose clogging up. It is located way up behind the glovebox. The dealer can tell you all about it

Reply to
GT Grand Prix 00

Yes, this could be a possibility. I hope that would only drip water. There was a morning that I checked it after it rained all night and there was quite a bit. It is definitely coming from behind the glove box. Another rainy day, nothing, but it wasn't driven. Hmm..., that's a strong possibility, Thank-you. I will check this out this week-end. Anything tips towards getting this fixed?

MAV

Reply to
Maverick

It is the cowl cover that is leaking.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=A0Paul=A0?=

by chance did you have the windshield replaced in your car?.. if so the person who replaced the windshield most likely reinstalled the water diverter wrong.

Reply to
res1axch

the grand prix is famous for this. if you call the dealership, they are aware of it. the AC drain hose behind the glove box gets clogged, and drains into the floor. just when u think its after a rain, you may find that it is all the time. i traded in my 2000 for the same problem

Reply to
GT Grand Prix 00