need help for the pros for TJ front brakes that stick

I have a 2002 TJ with new pads in the front ( put on early summer). I was driving to work this morning and the front brakes stayed on. I could feel the resistance and noticed the smell, and the drag from the front. Both front wheels were hot to touch. What causes both of them to stay on? The jeep was in a garage overnight so they were not frozen. I assume it must be the module that controls the braking, but if there is anything I can check it would be a help.

Reply to
snowboardripper

sounds like sticking callipers and or warped rotors. The callipers can be rebuilt but generally for the price you may as well replace them, if the rotors are warped (and they would be warped bad if their the culprit) replace them don't even bother with having them turned. I'm sure someone else will have better suggestions or experience with this so I'll leave confirmation to Bill, Doug and a few others, but these are your most likely candidates.

Snow 93XJ

Reply to
Snow

Reply to
RoyJ

I do not think it is the caliper since the chances of both of the siezing at the same time is strange. I do not have ABS. But they both stuck on with equal pressure since the jeep did not pull completely to

1 side. Also I do not think it is the rotors either since again both of them going at the same time is odd. Is there a chip or module that controls both brakes. I think that this is the cause. It really seams like what ever unit sends the braking to the front is not working correctly.
Reply to
snowboardripper

That is strange. If it was one side.....

There is a combination valve that controls the front to rear wheel pressures and the Master Cylinder. Those are the only two places both wheels have in common.

It is unusual for the combination valve to fail.

I have seen masters fail so the front brakes won't release.

I would test it by opening the line fitting for the fronts right at the master. If pressure squirts out and they release, the master has failed internally. (I just crack them, if under pressure it will come out fast first, then slow right down)

If not, then I would open it somewhere after the combination valve on either side to look for the stored up pressure. If none there, then I would go to the wheel caliper and open it. If that is the only place to show built up line pressure, then that implies the rubber lines from the wheels to the frame have internally collapsed. It does happen.

This only happens on one side at a time though usually unless someone put the wrong fluid into the brake reservoir. If it got the wrong fluid, both front hoses could have died.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike:

How was your 5 day bush run?

Tom

Reply to
mabar

It does seem strange that both fronts would stick at the same time. To me, that is an indication of some sort of hydraulic problem as Mike said.

I would check the caliper slides though to see that they are cleaned and greased properly. If you do need new rotors, most auto parts stores (at least in the Cleveland, Ohio area) have the wrong part numbers for the '02 TJ.

My '02 TJ was built on 07/2001 so it was a very early production '02 model. It uses full cast rotors, whereas the '01's and earlier used a composite rotor. The full cast is a much better rotor, and is more resistant to warping.

The correct part numbers for a full-cast rotor for '02 TJ's are: Bendix: 145276 Wagner: BD125716 Raybestos: 76923 Aimco: 5396

Any of the above numbers will fit, but the '01 composite rotors are NOT interchangeable and will not work.

Here is a great write-up for disk brake service if you decide to do the work yourself.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

I've seen a mis-adjusted brake light switch cause this by not letting the brake pedal to fully return. It's worth a check.

Reply to
Dave in Columbus

I had a similar problem after I replaced the pads on my 99TJ. The piston in the caliper on the drivers side starting sticking. Replaced the caliper with a rebuilt one from Autozone, about $20 with exchange. A couple of weeks after that, the piston in the caliper on the passenger side started sticking. Replaced that caliper also. I have had no further problems and that was about 8 months ago. Anyway, I think it is very possible your problem could be the pistons sticking even though they are both sticking at the same time. I think installing new pads had something to do with it. Put the piston in a different operating range due to the thickness of the new pad. I didn't take the calipers apart, but there could have been a groove in the bore catching the piston. Hope this helps. Good luck, Frank

Reply to
fdarcari

The skating was good for the kids.....

I will put up a bit of a trip report as soon as I get the photos together.

Mike

mabar wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I had a Galiper seize after leaving school many year ago with my 86 Chevette, Good thing it was winter as i end up in a bank snow.

Seize one side = Galiper ( can happen real quick ) both side... master cylinder or related.....

"Mike Romain" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca...

Reply to
Patrick