Idle question - 90 Bonneville

Very low miles (32k), ran fine until yesterday; started dying out instead of idling. Any time I'm not pressing the accelerator, it will idle very slowly or die. Off idle, car runs great, like it always did. Computer can no longer compensate (at idle) for things like power steering or AC being used, or car being placed in gear.

Main risk is loss of engine power when I need power steering on a turn. This only happened once, and I was ready for it, but it's nerve-wracking. Driving a Bonneville with no power steering is good exercise for the arms!

Checked for codes (OBDI) -- all I get is code 12 (x 3), repeating, which is normal. No codes set.

Oddly enough: After checking the codes, I popped the hood and found the IAC. While I was looking it over, it was making noises. Every three or four seconds, I can hear a ratchet-type sound, which I'm guessing is the computer's attempt to make it operate. This is with the ignition OFF. Why isn't this action draining my battery? Why does it keep trying to adjust the idle when the ignition is switched off?

I unhooked its connector and the ratchet sound stopped; reconnected it, and the sound returned, so the odds are about 100% it's the IAC making the noise.

I unhooked the battery to reset the computer; perhaps that'll have some effect, but this is odd. Anyone know which way to go from here?

Thanks.

Reply to
Robert A. Barr