Losing Engine Oil

I just bought a 1995 Pontica Sunfire. I was told that I have to change my Oil every 5000km, but for some reason after 4000 km i discovered that I have no more oil. I am sure I don't have a oil leak.

Can anyone tell me where did the oil go? What could happen? What do i have to do the fix the problem?

thx

Reply to
BW

If you don't see any oil on the ground from leaks then the oil is getting past the piston rings and burned. How many miles are on the car? It might be time for an engine rebuild.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

If its the 2.2 they are known for having oil leaks around the valve cover gasket, but its not likely your losing that much oil out of that. Does the car exhaust smell funny like its burning oil?

Reply to
Paradox

i didn't notice any burning smell... However, my car has 228000km on it. How much do you think it will cost if i was to rebuild my engine. are there any ways around it?

Reply to
BW

For starters, fill up oil and see how quick it 'disapears'. Are you sure there was enough oil in it when you bought it? What does 'no more oil' mean, nothing on the dipstick or an empty oil pan? If you burn less oil than a liter per 2000 km I wouldn't worry too much and just fill a liter between changes. If it is far more oil, have your engine compression checked, if that's normal, don't worry about the engine rebuilding and try to find another leak.

Reply to
Baudolino

You have a leaking gasket. Check your coolant, does it look like oil?

Reply to
Tj

Thanks for everyone's input I found out that my car is losing oil much faster then I had expected. Baudolino, I am not sure what is the difference between dipstick and oil pan, isn't there only one place to check the engine oil? Anyway, after

1000km, half the oil is gone...

If I make sure the oil is up, and don't fix the problem, would that be ok? Would it do any harm to the car? thanks again Bernard

Reply to
BW

If there is no oil on the dipstick, there can still be oil in the pan, the dipstick does not go all the way to the bottom of the pan. You probably have two quarts in your pan before you'll start seeing oil on the dipstick.

As long as you keep up with it, the car will probably be ok (although, eventually there will be so much pollution in the city in which you live that eventually the air runs out of oxygen, which results in poor performance of your car, but I wouldn't worry too much about that now). But something is wrong in the engine, and that may cause problems. Be sure to know what it is before you decide to live with it.

Reply to
Baudolino