Losing oil?

I've had an SL1 (2000) for about 3 months now and I've been monitoring the oil level in it and i have a concern.

I seem to be losing about Half a quart every few weeks and I'm wondering where. I've change the oil filter a few times and I've made sure to tighten it properly. I hand tighten then take a strap wrench and tighten it with the wrench 3/16 ths of turn. I see no leak from the motor. I've used a piece of cardboard underneath the motor overnight to see if any oil leaks and I see no spots. I'm not burning any oil and there is no carbon in the muffler pipe. I do some hiway driving and I drive quite fast usually around 135 KM/hr steady speed for about 5 hours every weekend. Most of week driving is city driving.

Well Any ideas? Any concerns?

Reply to
Canaan Apollyon

You might want to reconsider that statement.......

Go do some searching at groups.google.com......................

Reply to
BANDIT2941

It's burning oil. You can burn a LOT before you see any indication as far as smoke or residue. It's not usually an indication of impending doom. Just keep an eye on the level and add when it needs it. Saturn even publishes a spec on how much oil consumption is considered normal (but I don't know what it is offhand).

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]

Reply to
Lane

It isn't going into the coolant by any chance, is it? If it is, you might have the infamous Saturn bad engine head problem....

Reply to
Steve

pull you plug wires and see if you leaking oil out of the "cam-valve cover" into the little spark plug hole(s) in the head.. then you might want to pull your plugs and see how burnt (black) they are, thats another indication of oil consumption (depending on miles of course, be reasonable) questions, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net

Reply to
Bryan Bottorff

I had the same problem ('99 SL1 SOHC) with my car. I was running 5W-30 as Saturn (and GM consequently) suggest and going through the same amount if not more. I changed the PCV valve, cleaned out the gummed up throttle body, and switched to 10W-30 oil instead. Since then, I haven't had any problems.

Reply to
NewsGroupie

Reply to
Woobie

Hang on guys...

- cylinder head cracks were only a problem on SL1's from 1994-1996.

2001's don't have this problem.

- leaking oil from the valve cover into the spark plug wells will fill the well with oil and that's about it - no oil consumption. Also the newer valve covers (2000's-up) were far less likely to leak here.

- oil consumption (burning oil) was improved dramatically in the 1999 engine redesign (pistons, rings, heads, etc.). 2001's are typically not oil burners (at least not as bad as pre-99).

We own two 2000's. My SL2 with 200,000 (very hard) kms now burns about 1 liter (quart) per 4500 kms. My wife's SW2 with 70,000 kms burn about 1/4 of a liter (quart) per 5000 kms (oil change interval).

Oil viscosity does help. For my SL2 the numbers above are for 10w30,

5w30 I burn 1 liter per 3500 kms (I just switched to 5w30 for the winter 3 weeks ago and just added a liter at 3500 kms). When towing the 2000 lbs camper (yes with the SL2) and running Delvac 1300S 15w40 it burns about 1 liter per 4000 kms. Not towing with the Delvac it burns about 1/2 a liter per 4000 kms (I don't typically run the thick oil unless towing a lot though).

For a 2001, unless the oil hasn't been changed regularly or the car sees lots of gridlock or idling I wouldn't expect you'd have to add any oil between changes until there were lots of miles on the car (well over 100,000 miles or 160,000 kms).

To answer your question - I would say you are burning the oil. How or why is the next question. Are you running a Saturn PCV valve? Aftermarket's are known to suck oil through them. Do you change the oil regularly (I'd recommend every 5000 km or 3000 miles)? Idle alot?

Try a 10w30 oil if the temperatures are above 20°F or -7°C. In hotter weather you can run a 10w40 or even get away with 15w40.

Reply to
Steve S.

Nope, you forgot Alfa Romeo -- the only carmaker who says nothing's amiss unless oil consumption exceeds one quart per 500 miles.

Matt O.

Reply to
Matt O'Toole