Low Blower Output - Low Heat

I have a 93 Pontiac Sunbird 2.0L and I have noticed that the forced air from the blower motor is quite weak even though the fan sounds like it is blowing/running at full speed. The output is low on all settings.

-Defrost, Heater, Vents.

Also, when the heater is set to highest temperature the air coming out is just warm - but by no means hot like it should be. What could cause this? I thought it was the thermostat but according to the temperature gauge the car is running at normal temps.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Jason.

Reply to
Jason_G

Do you have air conditioning? If so, your evaporator core fins are probably plugged up with gunk. This will almost completely block off your airflow. You can clean the fins without removing the evap core, but it's a bit tricky.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Hey now that sounds familiar - I had a similar problem with my Corsica before I got this car. An excellent starting point!

BTW, Is the evap core accessible from under the hood after removing the blower fan?

Reply to
Jason_G

On your car, I believe that you can remove the blower motor resistor pack, you should see it bolted into the hvac case under the hood. This will allow you to look at the evap core fins and see if they are plugged. Then, I'm pretty sure that you can take out whatever bolts/screws are handy on the drivers side of the hvac sheet metal box where it bolts to the firewall and lift the box away from the firewall an inch or so. This will allow you to use something like engine shampoo to loosen the crap, and then you can hose off the fins. Just put some towels inside the car, in case the a/c moisture vent is plugged. I've done them this way many times, and you can get the original air flow back without having to take the evap core out.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai