2003 Grand Prix clock LED off

Hello folks! I have a 2003 Grand Prix that has a problem with the clock LED read out. I took the car to a car wash to have it washed and the inside cleaned out. When I got the car back the clock was off. NO LED read out. If you park in the sunshine or put a bright flash light on the display you can see the clock is working just fine. You just can not see it. LOL... I called Pontiac dealership here locally and of course they want a diagnostic fee to look at it. The dimmer switch by the lights is turned all the way up so that is not the problem. I find it hard to believe that the LED has died after only two years of sporadic use. If you know how to get it to turn on again please e-mail me. Thanks

Reply to
Jcmoffitt

theres a light bulb behind the led display, probably burnt out, gm doesn't sell a replacement, my solution was to solder a new bulb in tis place

Reply to
M.C. Tee

Does that mean I need to remove the radio from the dashboard and then open up the radio and replace the bulb?? If that is so I might as well have a new stereo installed. I am no where near qualified to attempt that.

Reply to
Jcmoffitt

I had the same Clock Radio problem with my 97 GTP. My solution was to remove the radio and take apart to access the inside circuit board inside that held the light bulb. Wi9th power to the radio on (wires connected), I found that the light bulb would light up by pressing on a solder joint that was not making a good connection. I resoldered the connection and was up and running. A aftermarket radio was not my choice, as I had "heads up display" to see the radio channel on the OEM radio.

Regards,

Eric

Reply to
Eric Poller