Oil Leak for the Third Time!

Now the Pontiac 6000 (2.5 '88) is leaking oil AGAIN! It blew a valve cover gasket back in June of 2004, then blew it again in August of 2004. We siliconed it in September of 2004. Now it's leaking oil again. The engine looks wet again and there are little black specks of oil all over the driveway where the car was sitting. Do you want me to take a picture of what it looks like in the driveway and post it? (I'd put it on a web page to go to.) Would this be helpful? How could it have gotten through the silicone? Is it possible that it's leaking from somewhere else? The car's not smoking bad. Thanks. Fortunately, I plan on getting rid of it in a few months. (Perhaps just a month or two.) It even looks wet where the bolts are that hold the valve cover on.

Reply to
Travis King

Travis, silicone should not be used on valve cover gaskets because oil eats through silicone. Silicone works fine on cooling system threads, etc., but definitely not on any gasket which has contact with oil. So don't use silicone on vale covers or oil pans.

Reply to
Cool Jet

I guess we're running out of options then unless you have something that you know of we could use on it. You can't keep a valve cover gasket on that car for two months without it blowing it.

Reply to
Travis King

Reply to
Shep

Reply to
Travis King

Reply to
Travis King

i agee to change the pvc valve.. you could also get some type b sealer from the chevy dealer. you clean the surfaces well and wipe down with some thinner,then lay a good bead on the valve cover and tighten bolts just till you see it squeeze the sealer,you dont want to tighten down all the way/.. ..then let it cure overnight.. best stuff around for that..lucas

ds549

well your problem just may be that the PVC system is pluged up and pressure is building up in the engin and blowing the gaskets out....have seen this many times....leaks all over the place

Reply to
DeADtIreD

Reply to
Travis King