oil pump replacement in '96 bonneville

I've heard that if I remove the balancer to get to the oil pump on my 3800 series II engine that I have to get the prom re-programmed. I personally don't believe this but I have talked to a couple of dealer mechanics who told me I did. The manual says nothing about this. So is the book right or is the dealer guys full of crap.

Reply to
gooch

series II engine that I have to get the prom re-programmed. I personally don't believe this but I have talked to a couple of dealer mechanics who told me I did. The manual says nothing about this. So is the book right or is the dealer guys full of crap.

They may be thinking you need to have the car relearn the crank position using a Tech II because the alignment of the crank sensor may change slightly. I've replaced the sensor on my 92 with no problems so dont worry about it unless you set a code or it runs incorrectly. If you replace the crank pulley I could probably see this needing to be done.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville