Over heating trouble....help...

I recently cut out my old catlic converter and put a resonator in it's place. The car is a 92 Pontiac grand prix v6 3.1L. Now all of a sudden the car is over heating? would cutting out the converter have anything to do with it over heating?

Reply to
sammy

I have trouble believing that the converter would cause your car to overheat. But, on the other hand, it is possible. Converters designs and placement are precise. They only operate after reaching a certain temperature, and therefore, are located close to the engine for quick "light off" but not too close so they don't get too hot. So, my point is that they obsorb a good deal of heat. Now with just the resonator, the heat has nowhere to go except to your block and heads, and eventually, your coolant. When I had a flowmaster and bigger pipe put on my car, flowmaster had a warning about placing it under a heat shield. It mentioned that the higher flow would make the exhaust components hotter, and the engine cooler. In your case however, flow hasn't increased greatly, and nothing more has changed except a piece that obsorbed heat, is now missing.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

What is overheating? My 91 Grand Am drives a lot hotter when it's in the 90s out (220 instead of 180). I don't know where you live, but here the temperature went up quite a bit last week. Otherwise, I don't think it has anything to do with the resonator, outside temperature will make a far bigger difference and for most cars that doesn't really affect anything.

Reply to
Baudolino

Perhaps you have the same problem I have. On my car which is a 94' Grand Am, the cooling fan will not turn on regardless of my changing the cooling fan motor, the relays and of course the temperature switch. I guess I might have to take this vehicle into a mechanic after paying for all these parts that did not even solve my problem.

Reply to
Cat Protector