pontiac....help!!

hi there, i've got a 95 pontiac grandprix thats hurtin'. im pretty sure its the fuel filter or pump. but im not totaly sure, and dont know

much about cars. so the engine cranks, but it wont turn over. so its been sitting for a few days and i decide to give it a try. i turn the key, hear a little something(other than the endless cranking) i stomped

the peddle and bam! it started up. but i really had to give it some gas

at first to keep it going. i drove it around the block, parked it, turned it off and restarted it fine. hour later......nothing. this morning, nothing. this afternoon.....it almost starts like the otherday, but i didnt get on the gas quick enough.

so any help would would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Reply to
veggidog2000

You may be correct, but at this point it could be almost anything. Do some diagnosis. Does it spark? What is the fuel rail pressure?

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

yeah it sparks....but im not sure about fuel rail pressure? i know everything else works fine. im just not sure if its the filter or pump. would it even start if the pump was out?

thanks for the help.

Reply to
veggidog2000

40 to 60 psi is good. Pumps often get intermittant on their way out. You could try a new filter and see if that helps because you (or your proxy) will be installing one anyways.
Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

I used to have a similar car (3.1L V6) and it got hard to start as a result of the brain board that the ignition coils are mounted on. I went through a couple of them in the years I had it.

It always seemed to me like it wasn't getting gas, because I'd crank and crank, and it would sort of try to start, etc. But it was that circuit board.

I bought a fuel pressure gauge at advance auto for about $30 and that cleared up the mystery. I suggest you do the same. Most people prefer to put parts on randomly rather than troubleshooting, but I really think troublehshooting is more fun.

If you look at USENET for a while you'll see there are an awful lot of fuel pressure questi>>

Reply to
Joe