Re: 1997 Sunfire - Stumped

Could be the fuel pump, I heard when those go, its intermittant.

Here's something for you experts - my husbands 1997 Sunfire 2.2 automatic > (always well maintained and no previous problems) Yesterday it conked out. > Would not start no how. He had it towed home. We tried to start it this morning and > no go - engine cranks but no start. Had it towed to a repair shop -

husband was suspecting

fuel pump. They phoned a couple of hours later and said they couldn't find anything > wrong and the car was starting okay. They had no clues and had run the

diagnostic code thingie

on it and nothng showed up. It is running fine now but I think there must

be something that

is on the verge of going. Any clues. TIA. > -- > Cheers! > > Jan
Reply to
Paradox

Could be anything. Try this the next few times you get in: Turn the key ON, and listen, you should hear the fuel pump for a few seconds. Turn it to start, if it starts, good. At least if you can get in this frame of mind then the next time it does NOT start, you will know if or not you heard the fuel pump and can immediately rule it out.... or part of the problem. Whether or not the fuel pump runs the next time it doesn't start can point in a dignostic direction.

IOW, you really can't fix it while it's working, but you can start to narrow it down.

-- GW - Conservational Ergonomist - note incorrect email address "It's good to yell at people and tell them you're from Tennessee. That way you'll be safe." - Gary Busey

Jan wrote:

was suspecting

diagnostic code thingie

something that