Re: 97 Silhouette (Transport)

I have a 97 Olds Silhouette. The other day when backing out of the garage,

>I put it in reverse and it didn't seem to engage, I then put it in neutral >and then drive and it wouldn't engage. I put it in park for a bit and back >in reverse, still would not engage, I gave it some gas and the it made a >loud clunck and engaged all at once. It has done this for the past few days >now, but only when cold, doesn't do it through the day after driving for a >while. Any ideas?

Low fluid level. It expands as it heats up, which thereby gives you the volume necessary for proper function (like shifting into gear). To check the fluid level, warm up the car (preferably with some driving rather than just idling, as that will warm the ATF faster), put it in Park, pull the tranny dipstick, wipe it clean, reinstall (all the way in) and pull out again. If you're lucky, your tranny will not have gotten too far along the path to self-destruction yet...

Reply to
Ron Seiden